New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac specs for FCP ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KRZY

KRZY is on a distinguished road

Hello

I'm in the prosess of switching from PC to Mac, and I'm doing this for ONE reason only, Final Cut Pro!

My main focus will be editing FULL HD(1920x1080) - footage from my T2i DSLR, and making shortfilms for practice purposes.

I've never owned a mac so i dont know what specifications are nessesary to run FCP, and I'm not thinking of minimal requirements here. What's the ideal requirements for having a smooth working experience?(prossesor?, ram?, Graphics card, Imac or Mac Pro etc.)

And I'm a student, i have money to buy a brand new imac, but i cant afford to max the specs on a mac pro if you see where im going, so something in between.

So if anyone out there has a good setup that they are pleased with or a recommendation please let me know
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Whatever you buy, you'll save some money by upgrading the hard drives and RAM on your own. OWC and NewEgg are great online retailers for those items.
I use FCE on my MBP, but it's mostly for personal/hobby use. Not professional and not Full HD video. So you definitely want something like a quad core i7 iMac or a Mac Pro. I have a feeling you can do all that with the iMac, but someone with more experience will be able to tell you for sure.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Whether this helps or not is up to you, KRZY; but I do HD video and HD 2D & 3D digital image editing via a 64 bit OsiriX workstation on my iMac, 27 inch, core i7, with 16 GB RAM.

It handles this beautifully even when running other things in the background.

If my situation seems in any way akin to yours go for the i7 iMac with as much RAM as you can afford.

Good luck in your new venture and you'll never regret switching to Mac.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
KRZY

KRZY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
Whether this helps or not is up to you, KRZY; but I do HD video and HD 2D & 3D digital image editing via a 64 bit OsiriX workstation on my iMac, 27 inch, core i7, with 16 GB RAM.
This helps alot thanks

My budget only goes this far.. so im stuck between these two configurations:

Mac pro:
* One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Nehalem”
* 6GB (3x2GB)
* 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
* ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
* One 18x SuperDrive

Or

the imac:
* 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
* 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
* 1TB Serial ATA Drive
* 8x double-layer SuperDrive
* ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM

the mac pro is more tempting as i have more availability for upgrades later on(when can afford it ) but what do you guys think ?
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRZY View Post
This helps alot thanks

My budget only goes this far.. so im stuck between these two configurations:

Mac pro:
* One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Nehalem”
* 6GB (3x2GB)
* 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
* ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
* One 18x SuperDrive

Or

the imac:
* 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
* 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
* 1TB Serial ATA Drive
* 8x double-layer SuperDrive
* ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM

the mac pro is more tempting as i have more availability for upgrades later on(when can afford it ) but what do you guys think ?
If it was me, I'd be looking for a way to get a Mac Pro. Like you said - more options for upgrading, etc. Especially if you already have a monitor to use.
Have you looked in the refurb store on Apple's site? You'll save some money and they are good as new. Even come with standard 12 month warranty and option to purchase Apple Care.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« built in iSight camera light stays on | Ethernet/cable Loss »