New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

External Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Clayson

Clayson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz 500GB HD; iPhone 3GS 32GB

When I bought my iMac, I also bought a LaCie Petit 500GB hard drive for Time Machine, should have gotten a bigger Hard Drive? Oh, I got the $1199 model. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

If you intend to back up the entire contents of your main HD, then yes, because eventually, as you fill your main HD, it won't be big enough to cope.
You needed 750GB at minimum I would say, and 1 TB better still.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

May I jump in and ask why? Sounds like I have the same computer and was going to go 500gb as well. I only have approx. 100gb on my drive now...Shouldn't it accommodate the info. as it develops...?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Yes it will, but let's say for example that you end up with 400GB on your HD. Time machine will only have room to store one current back up. Not that this is a problem of course, it's all personal choice, but generally most people have about half as much space again on top of the size of their main HD, so that you have a longer history to fall back on.
As an personal example, I accidently deleted a film from my media player drive, that I had also long deleted from my main Mac drive. Thankfully Time Machine still had it, because I have 1.5TB of storage (to back up 3 drives that total 1.1GB if full).
It all depends how you use your Mac, and how far back in time you want to back up.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

I appreciate the clarification. Thank You.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CD Stuck In My iMac G3'S DVD Drive | Power Mac G4 AGP 450Mhz CPU Upgrade »