New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac mirror door drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thomash

thomash is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4, dual 1ghz, Model M8570 (ebay buy)

Hi guys and gals,

whats size hard drives would my machine take? i think i've confused myself in thinking it would take a max 120gb. I read it on a spec sheet somewhere but now i'm thinking this to be the max hard drive it came with when new. does that make sense?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

There is no size/partition limit on MDD Macs. However, it uses PATA/IDE drives, NOT the newer SATA drives.
Since SATA drives are now the standard, PATA drives are going up in price (or, at least higher than SATA).
QUOTE Thanks
thomash

thomash is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4, dual 1ghz, Model M8570 (ebay buy)

Hi gsahil,

yes I know all about the SATA drives and the lack of IDE drives. I've got a SATA/IDE adaptor but will try it outside the machine first. Thanks for the info anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Want a tip thomas?

Tried one of those adapters in a 1.25DP MDD yonks ago and not worth the cash. Best option was a Raptor 10,000RPM drive and they are still about as PATA/IDE.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 won't power up | Imac Hard disk installation help »