New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac G4 AGP 450Mhz CPU Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oli1122

oli1122 is on a distinguished road

Hi

I have recently got my hands on a Power Mac G4, previously used in a TV station for graphic rendering so the Graphics are about as good as they can get. The only problem is RAM and the Processor.

I have done some research but i still have one question.

If i buy a Power Mac 1Ghz Dual Processor from a Mirror Door model will it fit in to my AGP model?

Thanks in advance
Olly
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

no it wont

You would have to buy a processor upgrade from OWC, like those made by Sonnet

But by the time you factor in a RAM upgrade, processor upgrade and possibly graphics card upgrade, you are better off banking the money towards a second hand intel mac mini or MacBook

The old G4 could still serve as a capable file server tho. My old 633 mhz G4 just sits around as a fileserver back-up for files and movies

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
oli1122

Thanks for the quick reply I will look at other options like a file server and mac mini.

Thanks again
olly
QUOTE Thanks
trueglory

trueglory is on a distinguished road

I have an old G4 400 mhz, does anyone know the most up to date OS that I can install on it? My son wants to be able to run garage band on it, is it worth persuing or should I just go for a more upto date computer and throm it away?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueglory View Post
I have an old G4 400 mhz, does anyone know the most up to date OS that I can install on it? My son wants to be able to run garage band on it, is it worth persuing or should I just go for a more upto date computer and throm it away?
Probably would have been better to start your own thread...since a CPU upgrade (this threads topic)...is different from an OS related issue.

You could run 10.4 (might be a bit slow)...10.3 would probably be the best from a performance standpoint. In theory you could run 10.5 (it officially is not installable in Mac's with less that an 867mhz cpu)...but with a program called "Leopard Assist" it can be done (but performance will be slow).

In the case of either 10.4 or 10.5 it will cost you $100+ to purchase the install disk.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
oli1122

I Have found a 30~$50 450Mhz Dual Core over clocked to dual 500Mhz is it worth it seeing as it has an amazing graphics card from its previous life as a TV graphics rendering machine. (A Flashed Radeon of some kind I believe) and 1GB of RAM soon to be 2GB.

Should i buy the Dual 500Mhz?

ty
Olly
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli1122 View Post
I Have found a 30~$50 450Mhz Dual Core over clocked to dual 500Mhz is it worth it seeing as it has an amazing graphics card from its previous life as a TV graphics rendering machine. (A Flashed Radeon of some kind I believe) and 1GB of RAM soon to be 2GB.

Should i buy the Dual 500Mhz?
The question I haven't seen answered yet in this thread is...what are you trying to do with this computer?

These Powermac G4 computers (450mhz or 500mhz) are 2001 vintage 10 Year-Old computers...and no matter how good the graphics have been upgraded...they are still "lightyears" slower than anything from say 2005, 2008, or 2011.

If you're just "fooling" around...and this computer is just for "fun"...go for it. But if you're trying to do some serious work...a newer, faster, and more capable computer would be a better option to pursue.

Just my humble opinions of course,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
oli1122

Im simply trying to bring it up a bit for basic web browsing maybe used as a server and mainly just for a fun project. I fully understand that I wont be able to do video editing or anything intensive but its simply for Fun
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

The answer in short is no. Regardless of the dual processors it is and will always be a 450MHz processor with a slow old 100MHs system bus speed.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Im simply trying to bring it up a bit for basic web browsing maybe used as a server and mainly just for a fun project. I fully understand that I wont be able to do video editing or anything intensive but its simply for Fun
Thanks for the info. Yeah...like Harry mentioned...it's still going to be a 450-500mhz computer. If basic web browsing is the main purpose...the difference in cpu speed (450 pr 500mhz) won't be noticeable. Also...even with the best possible graphics card in this computer...you still will have trouble with some websites...especially You Tube & other sites with a lot of video content.

I would say don't invest any more money in this computer other than maybe some ram.

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
oli1122

Is a mac Mini 1.25 Ghz with 500~ram and 40GB hard drive good for 164?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Is a mac Mini 1.25 Ghz with 500~ram and 40GB hard drive good for 164?
About 8 weeks ago I purchased a 1.5ghz Mac-mini for $50 US (~31). I know that used Macintosh prices are higher in the UK...but even 164 ($259) sounds like a lot for a 1.25ghz G4 Mac-mini.

Mac2sell.com (UK pricing) says it's worth 50 ($79).

So there's a BIG difference between what Mac2Sell says 50 & what you're looking at 164! Maybe the Mac2Sell value is low...but even if it should be 75...164 is still a lot more.

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
oli1122

Thank you for all the help, i did think it seemed a little too high for an older machine. I was looking on ebay but maybe i should look elsewhere. For now i will buy a some RAM for my G4. But I will keep an eye out for a cheaper mac mini.

Thanks
olly
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
For now i will buy a copy of snow leopard to hackintosh on to my Dell precision.
You shouldn't have said that!!!!! Probably one of the worst things you can say on Mac-Forums!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Hard Drive | How Warm Is a iMac Supposed To Be? »