New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

new macbook air or new imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

enyaw

enyaw is on a distinguished road

Which would be a better purchase down the road. In terms of longevity and price. I like a large screen and portability is not an issue. Which machine is the best bang for the buck? I meant mac mini
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyaw View Post
Which would be a better purchase down the road. In terms of longevity and price. I like a large screen and portability is not an issue. Which machine is the best bang for the buck? I meant mac mini
So what are the choices between a Mac-Mini & an iMac?

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
50voltphantom

50voltphantom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB

To me, it sounds like you're clearly in the market for a desktop, which would eliminate the Air option.

Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 500 GB HD OS 10.6.8 Magic Trackpad- eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 Grape 400 MHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD OS 10.4.11 iSub - iPad 2 16GB - iPod Classic 120 GB - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB - Apple TV 2
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Don't see there's a real problem here. You like a big screen, you don't need portability. Mac Air out.

The iMac offers far more than the Mac Mini bearing in mind that you to purchase a monitor and accessories if you go down the Mini route; and the iMac has much better specs.

You don't say what your main usage and needs would be and that could alter things, but for me the iMac wins hands down.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I prefer separate components to an "all-in-one". Monitors are relatively cheap, unless you have to have a high-end model. I've had my Mini for over three years, and not one hardware issue. :knockonwood:
QUOTE Thanks
enyaw

sorry for the delay, I already have a monitor lying around. And I will be using it for basic stuff surfing watching media and stuff. I really like the mac mini's size and I already have a 20' Imac alum/glass. My question might be confusing I meant to query about the new mac mini vs the base macbook air. Again I won't be using it for anything demanding. And the price point is sweet for the mac mini. Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
50voltphantom

50voltphantom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB

MacBook Air if it's going to be a secondary computer. Hands-down.

Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 500 GB HD OS 10.6.8 Magic Trackpad- eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 Grape 400 MHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD OS 10.4.11 iSub - iPad 2 16GB - iPod Classic 120 GB - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB - Apple TV 2
QUOTE Thanks
enyaw

Good suggest. But it's missing an optical drive which the mac mini has and $300 price diff, thanks but I need a more compelling/jaw dropping reason to choose it. And the mini has a way bigger harddrive and more ram I believe
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« eMac - Video mirroring? | iMac idle but always busy »