Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Keyboard stops working on iMac
    Hi Everyone,

I'm having a problem with my keyboard that stops working for no reason, but if I unplug it and replug it in, it will start again, or if I put the mac to sleep and wake it up again, it works again also.

I have the first intel iMac 17" with the original keyboard and mouse.

I read a few older threads of others with the same problem, but I didn't see if it was a problem at the OS level, or hardware, or what the resolution is.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    There's been several firmware updates for Apple keyboards. I'm not sure which ones exactly (mine was updated) but other than a firmware update for the keyboard, you may need to replace it. A full sized wired keyboard is only $49 and the folks at OWC sell used ones for as low as $21.99.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    There's been several firmware updates for Apple keyboards. I'm not sure which ones exactly (mine was updated) but other than a firmware update for the keyboard, you may need to replace it. A full sized wired keyboard is only $49 and the folks at OWC sell used ones for as low as $21.99.
    Thanks, but this one is a wired keyboard. I don't think there is a firmware for it (or is there ?)

I should also mention my Mac is running v10.6.6

Does anyone know where USB events get logged ? I tried looking in the console, but didn't find anything there. I'm wondering if there isn't something happening at the USB level.

thanks

Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.11 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Have you run a hardware test (First Aid) using Disk Utility (preferably after booting from and using your Installation disk)?

I'd also recommend running OnyX Titanium's Software • Download to give the OS a tune-up.

Thirdly, simply to cover options, change the USB port that the k/board is plugged into, ie. swap the peripherals around.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Since yours is the first Intel iMac 17" it came with the White plastic keyboard. I don't ever remember an update for that keyboard. There was a couple for the Full Sized wired Aluminum keyboard but not the plastic one.

Do you have another keyboard you could test the iMac with? It could be the keyboard itself, but do try what Hugh suggested.

I have run the repair permissions, and do so on a regular basis. I have noticed something though, I can run it, and it will report fixing a bunch of files, and I can then re-run it right afterwards, and some of the files listed in the first run, get listed again. Don't understand why that would be.

I have tried changing the USB port the keyboard is connected on, and it hasn't helped. I don't have another USB keyboard to try, but I'll try to borrow one from the my office.

I hope it isn't the keyboard, I really like the this one vs. the new ones Apple is selling.

(Also, I will give OnyX a try)

Thanks for the info !

Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.11 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Quote Originally Posted by nextreme View Post
    I have run the repair permissions <...> I have tried changing the USB port the keyboard is connected on.
    You don't mention running the hardware check, and as this appears to be more that than OS files causing the problem, at least for now, I'd strongly recommend doing the First Aid > Verify Disk > Repair Disk (if necessary).

However, you can only carry out that last step if you boot your iMac from its original Install/Restore disk.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Well, I've managed to borrow a USB keyboard (a HP), so I'll be testing with that. So far, its working fine. I miss the mac keyboard though, it has a really nice tactile feel. Wish they still made them with the traditional style keys.

It's official, my original mac keyboard is the problem. Probably better that than the iMac. Now, I wonder if I can fix it....

Specs:
    Like I told you in my first reply, a full wired Apple aluminum keyboard is $49 at Best Buy or your local Apple store. Just replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by nextreme View Post
    It's official, my original mac keyboard is the problem. Probably better that than the iMac. Now, I wonder if I can fix it....
    They really aren't made to be repairable, and in any case you can purchase a brand new one for a lot less than the cost to have your old one fixed.

Like yourself, I'm hooked on Apple's white keyboard with the full-size keys. It is known by several model numbers:
    M9034LL/A, A1048, MTM0613, 658-0306 or M9034
    and you can get one for only $17 from:

Apple PRO WHITE KEYBOARD /M9034

(They're $60 on Amazon: Amazon.com: Apple G3, G4, G5 109-Key White USB (Version 2) Keyboard (p/n 1003199): Electronics)

Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
    OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

Specs:
    @Randy:

Those keyboards you linked to..... According to the ads, they're for the Apple G3, G4, and G5. The OP has an Intel iMac 17". I would think that he needs the original or as I advised him, the Apple $49 aluminum wired keyboard.

@Randy:

Those keyboards you linked to..... According to the ads, they're for the Apple G3, G4, and G5. The OP has an Intel iMac 17". I would think that he needs the original or as I advised him, the Apple $49 aluminum wired keyboard.
    No, it's the same Apple part number for both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs.

I'm using one of those keyboards, purchased from that source, right this second with a white Intel-based 24-inch iMac. It is identical to the keyboard it replaced, and works perfectly.

Randy B. Singer

Specs:
    OK thanks. I may have to try one myself if the keys are larger than my aluminum model. Also, as the photos don't show it very well, does it have USB ports?

OK thanks. I may have to try one myself if the keys are larger than my aluminum model.
    Oy. I was reticent to tell folks about that source for those keyboards because they are getting rare, and expensive when you can find them. It was sort of my secret stash.

Also, as the photos don't show it very well, does it have USB ports?
    Yes, two in the back, on either side of the cord.

Randy B. Singer

Thread Information