New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

MacBook Air w/27" Monitor or iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

selwell

selwell is on a distinguished road

So I just bought a Macbook Air (11.6") and love it. I always intended on buying an external monitor for it for desk use, but when I started looking into it I couldn't believe how relatively inexpensive the iMacs are. For only a couple hundred more I could have a full computer. This, combined with the fact that the new iMacs have a display in connection so i could hook my MBA right up to it like an external monitor makes my decision a little harder to make.

Should I spend the $850 on a used 27" monitor or $1,250 on a used 27" iMac?
QUOTE Thanks
Command Alt Ego

Command Alt Ego is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid-2010 15" MBP; late 2012 11" MBA; iPhone 5

Well, if you buy the iMac, you could always use its HD for extra backups and/or storage. Plus you'd have the flexibility of using its cd/DVD drive, which is obviously absent on the Air. Just my two cents.
Congrats on getting the 11" Air. It really looks like a fantastic machine.
QUOTE Thanks
kamyio

kamyio is on a distinguished road

Not only that, but if you get the newest version of the iMac it HAS a plug-in to be used as a monitor. So you get both!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro (MA356LL/A-R) vs New iMac 27' | iMac beeping & flashing »