New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Tidying Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cblakey

cblakey is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to using my Mac (OS X 10.6.6, only about 7/8 months old), mainly just using iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie & Safari.

I've noticed recently that the Mac seems to be running a little slower than usual so I checked the Hard Drive (500GB capacity) to find that 270GB is in use. Is there any way to display what exactly is using that memory like you can when an iPod is connected to iTunes? I can see that iPhoto & iTunes combined is only using 25-30GB, but have been unable to find out how much is on iMovies (which only has one project).

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Using Finder (left side column) go to Mac HD/users/yourname/Movies.

There you will see all your Movies including iMovie Projects and iMovie Events.

Left Click once on each of these just to highlight each one. Then Command I (letter "eye" for Information) and you will get info on the total File Size of both iMovie Projects & iMovie Events.

They can be huge. If so, you can Burn the Project(s) to iDVD and/or Drag these two Folders to an Ext HD and store them there. To view them in the future or on another Mac, Drag or Copy them back to Movies using the same Path as above.

Hope this helps.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Here is also a handy little tool to get rid of unwanted files etc, very safe to use and the first time I used it, it got rid of over 20gb of unnecessary used space.
CleanMyMac - Enjoy your clean Mac with just a few clicks!

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone's got iMac restore discs? | Desktop Gone after 8000 Images Dropped on Desktop! »