Tidying Hard Drive
    Tidying Hard Drive
    Hi guys,

I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to using my Mac (OS X 10.6.6, only about 7/8 months old), mainly just using iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie & Safari.

I've noticed recently that the Mac seems to be running a little slower than usual so I checked the Hard Drive (500GB capacity) to find that 270GB is in use. Is there any way to display what exactly is using that memory like you can when an iPod is connected to iTunes? I can see that iPhoto & iTunes combined is only using 25-30GB, but have been unable to find out how much is on iMovies (which only has one project).

Thanks.

Tidying Hard Drive
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Specs:
    2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Mavericks) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Maver
    Using Finder (left side column) go to Mac HD/users/yourname/Movies.

There you will see all your Movies including iMovie Projects and iMovie Events.

Left Click once on each of these just to highlight each one. Then Command I (letter "eye" for Information) and you will get info on the total File Size of both iMovie Projects & iMovie Events.

They can be huge. If so, you can Burn the Project(s) to iDVD and/or Drag these two Folders to an Ext HD and store them there. To view them in the future or on another Mac, Drag or Copy them back to Movies using the same Path as above.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Tidying Hard Drive
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    Here is also a handy little tool to get rid of unwanted files etc, very safe to use and the first time I used it, it got rid of over 20gb of unnecessary used space.
    CleanMyMac - Enjoy your clean Mac with just a few clicks!

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

Thread Information