New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Intel Cube

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kamyio

kamyio is on a distinguished road

So I am building a Mac, in a way. I just ordered myself two Mac Cubes to play with when I realized that almost quite literally you can fit a Mac Mini, or even a few within the Cube's Core. I want to complete Apple's dream with building a Cube Pro. By using three unibody Mac Minis (obviously ripping out the logic boards) I want to cluster them together to have six cores of 2.66GHz power. Running with 24GB of RAM. Then having three 64GB SSD (got to save some space somewhere) for the drives.

Am I crazy to go any further than just having two sweet ol' cubes?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Do not support Hackintoshes here sorry.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jackcharles

jackcharles is on a distinguished road

Why's that a hackintosh? It's all apple hardware..
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamyio View Post

Am I crazy to go any further than just having two sweet ol' cubes?
Sounds like an interesting project (if it wasn't for the high cost)...but you might be forgetting one thing...cooling. Stacking 3 Mac-mini's on top of each other inside a Mac-cube case...is going to generate a lot of heat.

But yes...I think that you are crazy! Three 2.66ghz Mac-mini's will cost ($850 x 3 = ~ $2550) + ($150 x 3 =$450) = $3000!!! I think that you can do a lot better with that $3000 buying something else.

Besides...this project would destroy 2 Mac-Cubes!

- Nick

p.s. What I would suggest is...try doing the same project...but do it with 3 older G4 Mac-mini's (about $350-$450)...and skip the SSD drives. This way you can work out the "kinks" first before spending $3000.

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
kamyio

kamyio is on a distinguished road

@harry, ya sorry if it had the wrong impression. It's all Mac stuff, minus the SSDs, but I am just hacking a bunch of macs together.

@Pigoo, agreed the cost would be crazy, and I think I will try using older intel minis, maybe. The reason why I want new ones because they are flatter, if I use older minis I can only fit two. The Cubes come in on Monday so once I check them out I will see what I want to do with them. Maybe just two new minis and a few SSDs. Apple wanted the Cube to be a mini Power Mac, I want to make that a reality, but a dual core just wont cut it. Quad is almost perfect.

Thanks for your replies so far!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I mac G4 help | Intel Based Mac wont boot up »