New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Intel Based Mac wont boot up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thorch

thorch is on a distinguished road

I have an iMac with intel processor running snow leopard. Well it wont boot up pass the grey screen.

I did have a copy of leopard and was able to access the disk untility I am verified and repair the disk. I tried to repair the permissions but it says "The underlying task reported failure on exit.

any ideas??
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It sounds like your hard drive may be at fault. See if you can boot the machine with the Snow Leopard DVD and try running Disk Utility to do a Verify and Repair. Post back results.

You say you repaired the hard drive with Leopard? What kind of errors did it find? And did you keep running the verify and repair until all errors were clear?
QUOTE Thanks
thorch

thorch is on a distinguished road

it only reports errors when i try to repair the disk permissions. The disk verifies and repairs just fine. I am on the search for the snow leopard disk
QUOTE Thanks
Firejack

Firejack is on a distinguished road

try starting it in safe mode
To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), do this:

Be sure the computer is shut down.
Press the power button.
Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

If this does not work you may have to reinstall snow leopard so I suggest you find that disc

Also can you tell us what happened prior to this . Did you delete any files?
QUOTE Thanks
kamyio

kamyio is on a distinguished road

This is a really simple possibility, I have this problem all the time, and it's not as complicated as you may think. If you have any flash drives in your Mac, unplug them. Literally that's it. Sometimes the Mac seems to think that some Flash drives are what it needs to boot from, which obviously OS X isn't installed on.

Good luck if it's actually complicated!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Intel Cube | Re Installing OSX need help »