New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Imac Depreciation?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrMacMan56

MrMacMan56 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB

Hi Guys,

I was just thinking about the amount of money I will loose on my 21.5" 3.06Ghz iMac when I come to sell!
Basically I know it is a long way ahead but Next christmas I will be looking to get a 27"
By then the new iMac should be released? Which is what I have seen on some sites

I was wondering wether past iMac's have had a history of high depreciation?
I would need to get 700 for my Mac at-least to even have a chance to upgrade, I have seen them selling for that now. It would be the start of November that I would sell so I can insure that is gone by christmas!!!!! What do you think guys!

I look forward to your reply
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Work on a depreciation rate of 40% p.a.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacMan56 View Post

I was wondering wether past iMac's have had a history of high depreciation?
ALL COMPUTERS have HIGH DEPRECIATION!!! That's the way it has always been...and the way it will probably be for the foreseeable future. And the 40% value that Harry mentioned (although "scary") isn't too far off the mark...especially for the first 1-2 years.

On the positive side...Apple computers are usually much better than Windows computers when it comes to depreciation...but Apple computers still depreciate very quickly. Investing in a computer is NOT something you expect to retain it's value. That's why buying a refurbished computer from Apple...or buying a used computers (like I have been doing for the last 15+ years)...is one way to "fight" depreciation!

If you buy someones 1-2 year-old used computer for 50-60% of it's original selling price...examine the computer in person before buying it (Craig's List)...how abused can it be & how risky of a purchase can it be...not much!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MrMacMan56

Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB

Hi,

Ok, After further research a new iMac is not planned!
What would a spec iMac sell for that is 11 months old roughly?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hi,

Ok, After further research a new iMac is not planned!
What would a spec iMac sell for that is 11 months old roughly?
Check e-Bay or Mac2Sell.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
justin_clark93

justin_clark93 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz

I would say Mac2Sell is a little low for values, I would also check GadgetValue for a comparison.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_clark93 View Post
I would say Mac2Sell is a little low for values, I would also check GadgetValue for a comparison.
Interesting site...I will have to keep my eye on it.

Thanks for the link,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
RobFERN

RobFERN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24"

^x2!

Thanks for sharing it.

Rob

Once you go Mac, you never go back!
Windows is nothing but a POS!
QUOTE Thanks
MrMacMan56

My Computer was valued at 620
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
My Computer was valued at 620
Just so we know...where did that estimate come from?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
MrMacMan56

It came from the website that was linked above "Mac2Sell"
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

I would imagine the depreciation will increase as progressively more Macs become available in the used market. The more that are sold, the more that will be resold and thus the lower their relative value will be.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
MrMacMan56

I am just going to have to wait and see! I will still TRY and save! (I struggle to keep money in my back pocket )
And then if I cannot afford the new iMac I will treat myself to a iPad and a SH*T load of new accessories
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I am just going to have to wait and see! I will still TRY and save! (I struggle to keep money in my back pocket )
And then if I cannot afford the new iMac I will treat myself to a iPad and a SH*T load of new accessories
Just remember...computer depreciation works against you when selling a computer...but also works in your favor when you buy a used computer (1-2 years old).

So if you really want a 27" iMac (at a greatly reduced price from new)...consider a used 27" iMac.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
MrMacMan56

Hi,

I have thought about that in the past but I like the re-assurance of a 12 month warranty! And paying 1000 or more on a used product is a bit to much for me!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« F1-F9 and RIGHT SHIFT not working | What Would You Choose? »