New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Another Memory Upgrade Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kickstand54

kickstand54 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.93GHZ QUAD-CORE i7 - 16GB RAM - 2TB HD - iPad 3rd Gen 64GB - iPhone 4s 32GB

Iíve been reading these forums for awhile and this is my first post. Iíve searched this topic and found as much as I could find, but I still feel the need to ask my question. Please forgive the redundancy, but Iím just trying to understand this whole memory upgrade thing.

Iím about to purchase a 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 imac, and I am hoping to clarify my memory situation. I would like 16GB of RAM, but I think appleís price ($900 w/educator discount) is quite steep. Looking at OWC, I can get 4x4GB for $229.99, which leaves me curious about the enormous price differential.

I guess my question is, with such a big price gap, is there a difference in quality/performance? If not, why does apple charge so much? If the RAM apple uses is truly superior, I will probably only want to upgrade to 8GB (2x4GB) through apple and leave the final 2 slots open for a later upgrade. Would it be wiser to just order the standard 2x2GB and replace it with 4x4GB through OWC ($229), or just upgrade to 8GB through apple ($360)? The only reason I ask is because it almost seems too good to be true that I could get 16GB for way less than Iíd pay for 8GB through apple.

Thanks for the advice and again, I apologize for posting on a topic that has probably been beaten to death.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

We all want to know why Apple would charge that much and lose out on so many sales, too!
Yes, you can be fully confident in OWC's memory - quality no different than Apple's.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My cat reversed the colors on the monitor (seriously) | Does my iMac support 2TB Hard Drive? »