New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Does my iMac support 2TB Hard Drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Narpstar

Narpstar is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I've got an iMac aluminium 20" 2.4 GHz with 2 GB RAM (iMac 7,1). It currently has a 320 GB HDD installed.

Just wondering if it will support a Samsung SATA2 2TB HDD?

Also, can anyone confirm that the following Superdrive is the correct one for my machine (my current one is broken):

APPLE iMAC 2.4ghz 20" DVD DL RW burner drive superdrive (eBay item 400183247383 end time 23-Jan-11 21:10:44 AEDST) : Computers Networking

Thanks for your help!
Ben
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Your iMac will take the 2 TB drive as long as it's SATA and 3.5". As for the optical drive you linked to on eBay, take note that it's a refurbished drive and IMO a bit overpriced.

Go to OWC and look at what they have as a replacement optical drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Narpstar

Thanks very much for the advice! I checked out OWC but couldn't find a superdrive for my model of iMac, however the macbook pro optical drive has the same dimensions - do you know if this will be compatible:

OWC Mercury MacBook Pro 17" 12.5mm Super-M... (MMB7SD8XDLK) at OWC

And regarding the HDD, will SATA2 work?

Thanks again,
Ben
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It appears it will fit. But for safety sake, give OWC a call and ask. The call is free on their 800 number and their support folks are great.
QUOTE Thanks
Narpstar

Hmm, just spoke to OWC but they told me they don't have anything for the newer models.

Might have to go the refurb... it does come with a one year warranty.

Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Another Memory Upgrade Question | HELP HEL HELP Powermac g4 + OSX 10.3 »