New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Anti virus for mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rescueswat

rescueswat is on a distinguished road

Which anti virus is the better for macbook, iantivirus or sophos antivirus, both free edition? And, actually exist some virus for mac?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Most of us do not use one of those things on our Macs, so we wouldn't have any idea which one is better.

No, with a little common sense, there does not exist anything in the wild that can affect OS X at this time.

Have a read of the sticky - here.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Stanley

Stanley will become famous soon enough

When I switched I felt "naked" at first with no virus programs, defraggers, OS reinstalls, occasional registry fine tuning and so forth.

That was a year and a half ago and nothing bad has happened. Instead I just enjoy a fast, elegant computer on which I can do my work with few hassles.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

To put it in simple layman's term...

The "viruses" out there are malicious Windows applications written to cause harm to computers running Windows software. If you are not running Windows on your Mac, you do not need protection from Windows viruses.

Antivirus software for Macs is basically a scam. What they don't clearly tell you is that the OS X antivirus software does not search for "Mac viruses". (That's because there aren't any.) The only thing it does is search for Windows viruses, which is funny because the OS X software on your Mac is 100% immune to the Windows viruses being searched for.

Worrying about getting a virus on your Mac, it like laying awake in bed at night and worrying about whether or not you might contract smallpox.

It is hypothetically possible that, at some point in the future, someone may develop a true "Mac virus". However, if/when that happens, without an update, your existing antivirus software out there isn't going to detect it anyway, because it's only programmed to look for all the known Windows viruses. If a true "Mac virus" is actually developed, it will be front page news on the CNN & MSNBC websites. Everyone will know about it, and a couple weeks AFTER it happens, you'll be able to install some antivirus software which actually contains an update that protects you from it.
QUOTE Thanks
rescueswat

rescueswat is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all your help, sorry but I'm new in forum, very thank you people, I hope we can exchange kwnolege with all in the forum.
QUOTE Thanks
rjohn33566

rjohn33566 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24"; 2.93GHz; 4GB mem; 640GB HD; iPod Movie 5G; iPod Touch 4G 64gb

Microsoft owns the world computer market with their Windows OS, so why would a hacker worry about trying to hack into a very, very small percentage of computers when they can focus on 90%+/- of the market made up of Windows?
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

If it helps at all, let me say that when I converted to Macs, I installed VirusBarrier X5, then X6. This protection is, allegedly, designed for Macs and specific for them.

Okay. In 3.5 years on a total of 4 iMacs, the record shows not one single virus, Trojan, threat or intrusion has been detected on any of these computers.

In contrast, my Windows AntiVirus detected thousands of potential threats.

This seems to validate bobtomay's assertion that there is no discernible threat to Macs and my ignorant, or naive, approach was wrong.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
This seems to validate bobtomay's assertion that there is no discernible threat to Macs and my ignorant, or naive, approach was wrong.

Ian
"Wrong" is strong language. Let's go with "unnecessary".

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Stanley

Stanley will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
If it helps at all, let me say that when I converted to Macs, I installed VirusBarrier X5, then X6. This protection is, allegedly, designed for Macs and specific for them.

Okay. In 3.5 years on a total of 4 iMacs, the record shows not one single virus, Trojan, threat or intrusion has been detected on any of these computers.

In contrast, my Windows AntiVirus detected thousands of potential threats.

Ian
I run Windows XP virtually for a datalogging program. If I surf from XP "unprotected", the virus and malware and trojan alerts go up faster than the National Debt. Back to Safari in OSXand all is safe, quiet, and nonchalant.
QUOTE Thanks
spiritdave

spiritdave is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2010 - i5 Quad Core 2.8ghz

I use Sophos Free ... it's very transparent and doesn't even make a difference

iMac 27" - i5 Quad Core 2.8ghz - 4GB Ram - 1TB HDD - Radeon HD 5750 - MacOS 10.6.5 - Magic Mouse - Wireless Keyboard
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Mavericks, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

I ran virus barrier x6 on my mac. Not using windows. What a waste of money at 70.00 per year. Live and learn.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritdave View Post
I use Sophos Free ... it's very transparent and doesn't even make a difference
Considering that it has nothing to do, it shouldn't make a difference.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Consider this.

There are no Mac OS X viruses period. When you download antivirus definitions you are downloading definitions for Windows viruses only as AV manufacturers have absolutely no Mac definitions. Windows viruses cannot function in the Unix world.

Any wonder it does not work?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohn33566 View Post
Microsoft owns the world computer market with their Windows OS, so why would a hacker worry about trying to hack into a very, very small percentage of computers when they can focus on 90%+/- of the market made up of Windows?
First of all, "Windows" doesn't own 90+% of the market anymore and hasn't for a long time now.

Second, this has absolutely f-all NOTHING to do with how secure Macs are.

Third, Mac use has QUINTUPLED in the last five years -- still no viruses. Care to explain how your theory fits that fact?

Fourth, the myth of "security through obscurity" has been debunked more times than the "Iraq has WMD" line.

Fifth, "hackers" would love NOTHING BETTER than to be the first to write a genuine Mac virus. There is NO LACK of trying to do exactly that, trust me.

Sixth, can you even IMAGINE the spotlight Apple would (unfairly) get if even ONE genuine Mac virus were found to exist? The press and the PC fanboys would be all "there see you're JUST AS BAD" even though it would still be several hundred million to one. But more than TEN YEARS LATER still hasn't happened.

Seventh, furthermore it's not going to. Viruses as they are defined today are all but *impossible* on Macs, which is exactly WHY we haven't had any. Mac OS X is based on UNIX, which is itself very secure (since it was originally developed to be used for secure purposes). Windows is (still!) based on DOS, which wasn't.

No computer is 100% perfectly secure unless it's unplugged and off any sort of network, and Macs are not completely immune to "trickware" type malware -- BUT we're talking about a genuine VIRUS, not just "annoy-ware," and the chances of a Mac virus are so low that I'll *gladly* take any comers on a bet to that effect ... I love making easy money ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recovered Files? | My cat reversed the colors on the monitor (seriously) »