New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

additional hard drive on IMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

linseed

linseed is on a distinguished road

I just bought the East West Complete Composer's edition which is a software bundle on a high performance terabyte drive (it came in a Western SATA). I am running on an iMAC. How should I be using this drive ? Please help.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Unless you want to exchange (swap out) the existing drive in the iMac for the WD drive with the Composer software on it, then an external firewire external enclosure is probably the best idea. Does your iMac have Firewire 800?

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Hope the drive was formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled).

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
linseed

hughvane - I do not want to exchange the HD, the OS and the Cubase will be in the internal HD, just the sounds would be in this Western Digital HD. Would Firewire 800 be faster than USB? Could you please tell me the specifications of what I have to buy? Do I need an additional external power source for the HD?

harryb2448 - confused... formatted Mac OS Extended - I have no idea. How can I tell? What does that mean?

Thank you both =)
QUOTE Thanks
linseed

Yikes!! Forgot to say thay I do have Firewire 800. It is a MC808E, Intel core i3 / 3.2 Ghz, 500GB, 2GB RAM. Would Firewire 800 be extremely slow compared to the internal HD?
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by linseed View Post
Yikes!! Forgot to say thay I do have Firewire 800. It is a MC808E, Intel core i3 / 3.2 Ghz, 500GB, 2GB RAM. Would Firewire 800 be extremely slow compared to the internal HD?
It might not be quite as fast as the internal HD, but I seriously doubt it will be noticeable. Firewire 800 definitely isn't categorized as "extremely slow" by any standards.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by linseed View Post
Would Firewire 800 be faster than USB? Could you please tell me the specifications of what I have to buy? Do I need an additional external power source for the HD?

harryb2448 - confused... formatted Mac OS Extended - I have no idea. How can I tell? What does that mean?
Not wishing to butt in on Harry's post, but 'Extended' means formatted so that you can boot (start) your iMac from it if it has a MacOS.

Because you don't want to swap the drives, then a firewire enclosure (e/e) is the way to go. There are several brands, but the best place to start looking is at OWC Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC (I'm on very slow dialup at present, otherwise I'd provide a more direct link, but check External Storage).

One thing you should look for is firewire (or firewire/usb combo) e/e's with an Oxford chipset. OWC nearly always tells you if an e/e has Oxford. If it doesn't say so, it's unlikely to be so. Oxford is very reliable, and works well with the Mac hardware. Look carefully at diagrams of enclosures to see that they have a FW800 port. Some have both FW 800 and 400 ports, but 800 is backwards compatible with 400 anyway.

Yes, you should use an externally powered enclosure, USB power from your iMac is inadequate.

As MacDude says, Firewire 800 is fast - you'll be satisfied with its performance. Forget USB, except for plain data transfer.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
linseed

Thanks a lot for your help!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« screensaver doesn't work! | Mac Mini Slowdown »