New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Address book disappeared...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Resoman

Resoman is on a distinguished road

My address book app has disappeared - when I click on its icon in the tray, it never appears, though the little blue light below the icon comes on. I've tried restarting the iMac, with no success. The data seems to be intact; when I sync my iPhone, the contacts are there as usual.

Any ideas? The machine is an iMac 8.1 running OS 10.6.5.

Thanks,

Gary
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

How about the Applications folder, is the Address Book.app there? If it is, just drag a copy onto your DOCK (left side). Or run the Address Book.app from the applications folder by double clicking on it.

If the Address Book.app is missing or was inadvertently deleted you'll have to reinstall it from your original install media.
QUOTE Thanks
Resoman

I tried launching address book from the app folder, and the result was the same - the address book icon on the desktop "bounces" and the blue light comes on below the icon, but no address book appears.
I'm thinking that the address book is running "somewhere" but isn't visible, for some reason. I've looked all over the desktop for the edge of a window, or something like that, but can't find anything.

Gary
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you right click the app in the Dock, are you given the option to "show" the app (it may be hidden)?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Resoman

When I right click the icon in the dock, I'm given the option to "hide", not "show", unfortunately...

Gary
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Have you ever used more than one monitor at a time? Sometimes when I unplug my second monitor, an app appears not off screen but close to it sometimes (I can only see part of the application in a corner of the screen for example).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Resoman

Vansmith, you're today's genius!

A few days ago, I made a not particularly successful effort to use a second monitor with Adobe Lightroom, didn't think it helped, and shut off the second monitor.
When I turned it on just now, there was my address book!

Thanks a million,

Gary
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to add speakers to iMac? | imac 27 SSD, how to sleep my second drive? »