New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro Freeze

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vodoochild81

vodoochild81 is on a distinguished road

I was editing in FCP and for some odd reason it was rendering to the hard disk. I noticed my hard disk went from 30 gigs free to 2. I checked my setting in FCP and it said it was rendering to my external HD so I was confused.

I then went to reset my computer thinking it was a bug, and now my comp takes like 5 mins to boot up and when it boots up and I try to open finder or any other app it just sits in the color wheel. I really do not understand what's going on.

Is there a way to hook my mac pro HD to my Mac Book Pro and use my lap top to run Disk Warrior? Maybe the directories got all screwed up.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Why don't you boot your Mac Pro with the Disk Warrior DVD and run the check and repair that way? Also, it sounds like you may have run out of space on that hard drive and that's why it's taking so long to boot up.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

And if that does not do the trick download Applejack and run in AUTO mode. Read the instructions that come with this handy little utility.

http://applejack.sourceforge.net/

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
vodoochild81

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Why don't you boot your Mac Pro with the Disk Warrior DVD and run the check and repair that way? Also, it sounds like you may have run out of space on that hard drive and that's why it's taking so long to boot up.

Yea, sorry I forgot that you could boot Disk Warrior off the disk. I did repair the disk with Disk Warrior but I still have the same problems. I am guessing you are right that my hard drive is full, but what do i do? How can I free up space if I can't even access the Finder. thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
vodoochild81

Sorry for double posting, just wanted to update what i have been doing... i hooked up my macpro to my lap top in target mode and there was 2 gigs free, so that means it did not run out of disk space right? I freed up some space, about 10 gigs..I then rebooted my Mac Pro and still it took a while to boot. I went to open finder and this time the finder window opened but still its frozen with the color wheel spinning. Any ideas? Is it possible I got a virus? Macs can get them now no?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

No viruses for Mac OS X.

You need about 15% free space on your hard drive for it to operate anywhere near efficiently so you may need a larger hard drive. DiskWarrior 4.1 is a $99 program and you must have the DVD 1001 version for an Intel Mac Pro. Are you confusing this with your system install disc?

The DVD 1001 is a $20 upgrade from Alsoft.

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/support.html

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
vodoochild81

i used disc warrior 4.2...So if my drive is like 300 gigs is should have about 40 free?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Yes indeed.

QUOTE Thanks
vodoochild81

yea but i have gone long stretches with only like 20 gigs and everything worked fine...if i delete stuff it will what magically start working? Is there something else I need to do first? Do I need to format it?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

No just drag to Trash what you do not want and empty. A utility such as AppTrap will help and it is freeware. Then go into Disk Utility and Erase Free pace.

QUOTE Thanks
vodoochild81

So I freed up 15 percent about 36 gigs, and the computer does boot up, and doesn't freeze..but everything is still running very slowly. Still takes 3-5 mins to boot up, and whenever I click on an app I get some color wheel lag. So progress but still something is wrong no? I ran disk warrior again and still the same results.

Could I of caused some hardware damage by not keeping 15 percent free?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Not really just slowed everything down and with 36GB free you are still suffering from that problem. 15% of 300GB is 45 odd GB. For now try Repairing Permissions and if still no joy, did you run Applejack?

QUOTE Thanks
vodoochild81

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Not really just slowed everything down and with 36GB free you are still suffering from that problem. 15% of 300GB is 45 odd GB. For now try Repairing Permissions and if still no joy, did you run Applejack?
i ran applejack, cleared space...My computer is still running slow, and having application freezing issues..
QUOTE Thanks
vodoochild81

Another thing I find very weird is when I try moving files off my start up onto my other internal drives it takes HOURS and then it never finishes and says there are files that are unreadable. This is really bad because some of those files are really critical. Again I did all the applejack stuff, as far as repairing disks and etc...

I have regular leopard installed, maybe I should upgrade to snow leopard? Will that be enough to correct whatever software issue there is? Could this be a hardware problem?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

First up are both drives formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and GUID partitioning selected from the Partition portion of Disk Utility? If yes then boot up from the install Leopard disc, go to the Menu bar select Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk from there on both/all drives and see what is reported. If there are no problem dragging files should be pretty well instantaneous.

Think yoiu have a hardware problem for sure voodo.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac doesn't turn on-Help? | iMac ok to use with (normally Windows operated) Barclays BARX trading platform? »