Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mac Pro Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    First up are both drives formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and GUID partitioning selected from the Partition portion of Disk Utility? If yes then boot up from the install Leopard disc, go to the Menu bar select Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk from there on both/all drives and see what is reported. If there are no problem dragging files should be pretty well instantaneous.

Think yoiu have a hardware problem for sure voodo.
    There is a problem dragging files, as the larger ones it says some files are corrupted and it can't be read.

I dont understand why repairing the disk from the leopard disk would be different from disk utility or apple jack.

I am trying to use i defrag, and there is a A LOT of red. could that be the problem? I try to run i defrag and it chrashed my machine. now its just running REALLY slowly.

Specs:
    27" 5K iMac, 3.3GHz, 256GB Flash Storge, 16GB memory and OS X.11.3.
    Keep defrag utilities well away from your Mac Pro and this sounds like a lot of your problems. To repair a hard drive you must boot from the Leopard disc and hit Repair Disk. If you go to Disk Utiliky on the drive, you will see the Repair Disk option is grayed out and not available.

This is because you cannot unmount and repair a drive you are booted from.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

how come no defrag? Everyone else i talk to tell me disk warrior, idefrag, and like u said the start up disk are the critical components to maintain a mac.

I am def going to track down my disks, or get them from a friend because i am not totally sure where they are. could of gotten lost when i moved. Im so used to my macs never failing I never really had to do anything like this...and I have been using macs for like 10 years. Good learning lesson.

Specs:
    Well voodoo ALL computers fail. Make sure the discs you borrow are 100% compatible with your machine. If they are the silver.gray system discs, his Mac Pro needs to be the same model sold about the same time.

Read this on defrag with OS X:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1634
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

since its a very specific kind of disk do u think apple would send me a backup copy if I lost it?

Specs:
    No but they MAY well sell you one.

Call up and see.

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    No but they MAY well sell you one.

Call up and see.
    I found my disks! I did what you said, booted from the disk, and selected repair disk. it said nothing was wrong with my disk. Does this rule out hardware problem or was there something else I should of done?

I booted back to my start up disk and still the same issues. If macs cant get virus's how come they put out anti virus software?I dont get what could be wrong.

Specs:
    Does not rule out hardware problems but good news the hard drive look okay. Antivirus software is sold for one reason ~ to make the software companies BIG BUCKS!

If the discs you found are the original install discs, run Apple, Hardware Test. This diagnoses much of the hardware.

how do u run the tests under what menus? thanks.

Thread Information