New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

imac 27 SSD, how to sleep my second drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Toranaga

Toranaga is on a distinguished road

I just got a new iMac 27", i7, SSD, 2TB, 16GB RAM.

My second 2 TB drive keeps spinning up even though I am not using it. Is there any way to make a shortcut or something to force it to sleep?
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Your iMac will constantly check hardware to make sure everything is running as normal, this is just how it works. I take it you are referring to an internal drive? If so I'm pretty sure there is nothing you can do about it, if it is external then simply unplug it while it is not in use.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Toranaga

Its the internal 2TB SATA yes.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

It's meant to be like that. I have the exactly same system as you other than my HD2 is 1TB instead of 2TB.

All is quiet when you put the system to sleep.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Toranaga

yes but I want it to be quiet when I am using it and the harddrive is THE noisiest component.
QUOTE Thanks
techo91

techo91 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17'' late 2010, core i7 2.66, 4 Gb ram

The reason it's spinning is the speed of the machine. If it stops, whenever the system needs data on that drive, it'll have to wait for it to spin up which is too slow.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

If you are that annoyed with the noise from it then you might want to look at replacing that with another SSD.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Toranaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by techo91 View Post
The reason it's spinning is the speed of the machine.
uhm... what do you mean? I have no data on that drive that it needs unless I access it. But I guess I will just have to accept this. This is my first Mac since using Windows since v3 and I realized I would have to accept that "it just works" and not be able to customize as much as in windows....
QUOTE Thanks
Toranaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
If you are that annoyed with the noise from it then you might want to look at replacing that with another SSD.

- Simon
OMG why didnt I think of that! Oh wait... how much is a 2TB SSD again?...
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toranaga View Post
OMG why didnt I think of that! Oh wait... how much is a 2TB SSD again?...
Depends JUST how annoyed you are with it lol

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
arnevt

arnevt is on a distinguished road

I have a question related to this.

I don't want my 2TB disk to be idle constantly, but I don't want my imac to wait until it's fully spinned at startup, before he's starting to boot my OS from the SSD.

I understand he wants to be sure there's nothing of interest on it, but in my case there's just nothing on it he needs to have before or during boot.

Can this be done?

grt
Arne
QUOTE Thanks
Toranaga

Have you selected the SSD as the boot disk under system preferences?
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toranaga View Post
Have you selected the SSD as the boot disk under system preferences?
He must have, if he hasn't then the imac wouldn't even be able to boot because the OS won't be on the second drive.

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
arnevt

arnevt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He must have, if he hasn't then the imac wouldn't even be able to boot because the OS won't be on the second drive.

- Simon
indeed, the OS is on the SSD, the 2TB is just mounted under /Volumes/.....
QUOTE Thanks
Toranaga

Quote:

- Simon
The way the new iMacs with two drives are delivered they take a long time to boot before the apple logo even apears. If you select the SSD as default boot disk it WILL boot much faster. Mine boots from cold in 24 seconds. From the time the apple logo apears and it actually starts loading its 10 seconds until desktop.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Address book disappeared... | G5 problem with my Verizon USB modem »