New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

first gen Imac 1.8 G5 "going bad" solution?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AylmerQc

AylmerQc is on a distinguished road

Our 5 year old Imac started having thatched squares on the screen after a few minutes being on. Doing some research showed it was a common problem on 5 year old G5's. I inspected the capacitors but didn't find any bulged ones.
Trying to isolate the problem area with a combination of cold spray on individual components and heat, I ran it with the back cover off. The cold spray didn't find anything but the G5 has been running fine for the last 3 days this way. If I put the cover back on, the problem re-appears. So, looks like a heat issue. I'll be using it this way until I can, if ever, find the exact spot or component that's causing the problem but I wonder how many G5's have been scrapped when this is a simple solution. I'll make a small set of stands or legs out of wood so it safer and the speakers resonate more but otherwise, even if it is an older G5, it's good enough for surfing the net and running other tasks..
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

It might also be some sort of a short caused when the case is on..but I have to say that is a very odd thing to have happen. Most people wouldn't really bother with extreme troubleshooting or running it like that, especially when it's 5 years old, but hey it still works right?
QUOTE Thanks
AylmerQc

Update:
I put the back on and... it works just fine. The only thing I did besides testing the unit with cold-heat was to clean the fans with compressed air. Lots of dust there.
So.. it has nothing to do with the cover on or off..
Yes it's old, by today's standards but it's such a great looking design I'd probably turn it into an aquarium rather than throwing it it out. Anyhow, for what my wife uses it for (surfing the net) it does the job. (we're now using a G4 power Mac instead)
Also, I like to get my money's worth. At the price it cost 5 years ago, I figure I should get a few more years out of it...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AylmerQc View Post
Update:
I put the back on and... it works just fine. The only thing I did besides testing the unit with cold-heat was to clean the fans with compressed air. Lots of dust there.
WOW...that's a pretty positive outcome!

It's possible that the dirt/dust was blocking the cooling pathways, causing the computer to run extra hot...and thus the problems.

Thanks a bunch for the update...I hope that your computer repair is long lasting!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
AylmerQc

Well, thinking about the whole thing, I think shooting very cold spray on the caps might, just might have something to do with it, it it wasn't the fans,,
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Put my money on dust clogging and slowing down the fans. Dust in iMacs in particular are big troubles.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac - Polycarbonate intel core 2 duo | Really impressed with my new iMac »