New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Slow PowerMac 6.1

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jmg343

jmg343 is on a distinguished road

Hello. I got a PowerMac 6.1 handed down to me from my mother. I lost my MacBook Pro in a divorce. Anyhow, when I got the computer from my mother it had thousands and thousands of pictures and music stored on it. I proceeded to delete all of the pictures and all of the music and also ran the "Cleanmymac" program and cleaned the computer. The computer is still quite slow when on the internet. Pages do not load as quickly as I feel they should and videos from youtube and various other sites will not play "smoothly". Instead they are herky jerky and play frame by frame if you will. FWIW, this computer has a power PC G4 (3.3) with a 1GHZ speed, and 768 MB of memory. I dont know too much about what that means because I am not that computer savy. Can anyone help me figure out why this computer is running as slowly as it is?

Also, I do not think it has anything to do with my internet connection as it has always worked fine when using my ex-wifes laptop. Same connection, same modem, same everything other than the computer.

Thanks in advance,
Jake
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

The simple answer is...this G4 Powermac is just too old (about 7 years old)...and it's processor & video hardware are just too slow to run Youtube videos smoothly. You Tube videos are VERY taxing on an older Mac such as this.

This Powermac G4 is still good for many tasks...but You Tube videos it is definitely not good for. And of course...you don't need me to tell your that your former MacBook Pro was a MUCH newer & speedier computer!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

If you want to play youtube smoothly on that machine, download camino web browser: Camino. Download. Releases then simply select the 240p option from the small menu below the video, if the video doesn't have that option (as about 10% of them don't) simply put: &fmt=5 at the end of the video url and refresh, and it will manually make the quality lower. I know 240p is pretty crappy quality, but at least the video is watchable. As for the slow web browsing itself, Camino will help some but it's just a slow computer...simple as that.
QUOTE Thanks
jmg343

jmg343 is on a distinguished road

Well then, it looks like I will be going out and buying a new state of the art apple laptop. Any suggestions? Money is an issue but everyone in this country is up to their necks in debt, I might as well be too. If I can keep it at or near $1000 I'd like to, but as the Rolling Stones once said, "You can't always get what you want....baby."
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg343 View Post
Money is an issue but everyone in this country is up to their necks in debt, I might as well be too.
Same story...different record (or CD or mp3)! Most folks don't want to spend any more money then they have to.

Here's probably the least expensive "new" MacBook available at this very moment:

Refurbished MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Are hard drives compatible with G4 | Hardware space.... Clearing memory »