New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

eMac screen flicker

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

50voltphantom

50voltphantom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB

My beloved eMac is developing a screen flicker.

Should I:

Try doing an LCD mod?

Try removing the CRT and doing a case mod and use an external monitor?

Other?

I seriously don't want to give up on this Mac.

Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 500 GB HD OS 10.6.8 Magic Trackpad- eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 Grape 400 MHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD OS 10.4.11 iSub - iPad 2 16GB - iPod Classic 120 GB - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB - Apple TV 2
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Did you buy this eMac recently? I know that we had a couple "CRT screen flicker" threads in the past month or so. I'm guessing you read them...and that flicker is usually due to old age (high usage hours)...not much you can do about it (that makes financial sense).

One option to consider if your REALLY like eMacs (given the cost of used eMac's)...is just buy another one, and hopefully you can inspect it first before buying to make sure the display is in great shape. This is probably a lot less expensive than some of the "eMac mods" you mentioned.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
50voltphantom

Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB

^I hear what your saying. But it would be really cool to have one with an LCD.

Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 500 GB HD OS 10.6.8 Magic Trackpad- eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 Grape 400 MHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD OS 10.4.11 iSub - iPad 2 16GB - iPod Classic 120 GB - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB - Apple TV 2
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom View Post
^I hear what your saying. But it would be really cool to have one with an LCD.
Hey...that's ok! I'm usually thinking from the least cost perspective...but sometimes doing "cool things" is not always the "lowest cost" route.

It may take some research & a lot of self-confidence to actually get in there & start desoldering & cutting wires...but hey...you gotta do what you gotta do!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

I agree with Nick about the questionable wisdom of trying to do surgery within the eMac to wire in an LCD, so why not use an external monitor? I know, the argument is always about space, but you can tuck the eMac away from the immediate work area and enjoy the view of an LCD monitor instead.
[I'm debating the very same thing myself, as my eMac CRT screen is on the wane. It's either an external monitor or a replacement Mac.]

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
50voltphantom

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do an LCD mod. I just need to get my hands on a 17" screen for the right price. I'm really excited to try it.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom View Post
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do an LCD mod. I just need to get my hands on a 17" screen for the right price. I'm really excited to try it.
I would love to see the results...and what you thought of the process!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
50voltphantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I would love to see the results...and what you thought of the process!

- Nick

Oh, I'll definitely post the process/results. There is a how-to online that involves some more-than-basic electronics skills, but it would be easy set up the display port as a primary display and run a cable back into the machine along with separate power cord to feed the new internally-mounted LCD. Not too difficult, really.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Minimum system Req. For Mac mini 'media center' | Imac will not turn on? »