New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Awful folder with ? appears at startup of PowerMac G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

udabney

udabney is on a distinguished road

I know, I know you are probably thinking if I'm having trouble with a PowerMac G4, then you would suggest burning it and throwing it away. However, this was my first mac and I can't put it down yet. I had not experienced many problems with my 16 year computer until recently.
The last operating system that was installed was Tiger. Currently when I start the computer up I get the awful folder with a blinking question mark Can you please assist me in possibly recovering my mac? Someone mentioned purchasing Disk Warrior, but I didn't want to purchase something if it wasn't going to cure my problem. By the way, I consider myself to be an intermediate mac user so please don't go too technical on me
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

A flashing question mark appears when you start your Mac

Basically, try to boot from the install disc and repair the hard drive. Try resetting the PRAM as well. If the hard drive health is 100% and there are no errors and the PRAM reset doesn't work, it might possibly be a bad SATA cable.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
50voltphantom

50voltphantom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB

^I second that.

Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 500 GB HD OS 10.6.8 Magic Trackpad- eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 Grape 400 MHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD OS 10.4.11 iSub - iPad 2 16GB - iPod Classic 120 GB - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB - Apple TV 2
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

For less seasoned users who happen upon this, that blinking question mark means that no "blessed" System Folder can be found. Repairing the hard drive may remove the obstacle preventing that.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Your going to boot from the OS system disc..hold down the C key on a restart after you insert the disc. May be time for a new battery as well.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

You do have the Tiger install disc?

After doing as suggested, boot from the disc and go to Utilities in the Menu Bar, select Disk Utility and run Repair Disk. Perhaps the hard drive has failed. You have had a good run from the drive, maybve time for a new IDE/PATA drive.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
udabney

Thank you for all of your suggestions. However as I tried to do that I was quickly reminded of something. My computer does not have a internal or external dvd player. So I guess you ask how did I install it the first time? I thought outside the box and put my hard drive in a friend's computer and installed it that way. The new delimma that I have now is that I do not have access to my friend's computer again. Do you have any other suggestions? Is is possible for me to perhaps purchase some type of recovery disk for Tiger? Or is there somewhere I could perhaps download some type of recovery disk and put on a cd?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by udabney View Post
I thought outside the box and put my hard drive in a friend's computer and installed it that way.
Thats why its messed up. Why is there no DVD drive?
QUOTE Thanks
udabney

I would have to disagree as for that being the reason the computer will not start. The computer worked just fine after the install of Tiger. The blinking folder is a problem that I have recently encountered. As for why it doesn't have a dvd drive...I'm not sure. You would need to ask Apple why they didn't have a dvd drive on all of their G4 models.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Some G4 models require firmware updates before they are upgraded. All the media system disc your asking about will be on DVD. Being you need a DVD drive for Tiger..your going to have to install one.
QUOTE Thanks
udabney

How would you suggest I do that if I can't get the computer to start up?
QUOTE Thanks
iZoe

iZoe is on a distinguished road

The first time you encounter the flashing question mark can be distressing; means the computer can't find the software to start the booting process. The only thing I've ever found that totally cures this is a reinstall of the system. You will lose everything on your computer though. There may be a way to reinstall a new system while keeping the old system (and all files) on the hard drive in a separate file folder. Good Luck.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Can you get it to Safe Boot?
Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« restore disk?! | iMac makes soft noise »