New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Does my imac go to sleep when screen goes dark?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mattg3

mattg3 is on a distinguished road

Im confused in what the difference is between when I click on sleep mode and when my energy saver preference has the screen reduce brightness and then go dark.Is this the same mode or is sleep mode different from the energy saver mode the computer goes into on its own?
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

It is not the same sleep mode. If you make your brightness of your screen go all the way down the computer is not "sleeping" but after awhile with the brightness all the way down it will fall asleep.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It all depends on your settings.

Because I use shared iTunes and other video libraries - a couple of my computers are set for the screen to turn off but the computer itself is set to never go to sleep.

Others are set for the screen after 15 minutes and the computer after 30.

That setting for the screen to reduce brightness before going to sleep was turned off within a month after getting my first notebook. That's got to be one of the most annoying things I've ever seen on a computer.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mattg3

My energy preferences are to put computer to sleep after 15 minutes and display sleep at 15 minutes(default settings)So can I assume this means my computer is going to sleep on its own and i dont have to choose sleep from the apple menue?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
My energy preferences are to put computer to sleep after 15 minutes and display sleep at 15 minutes(default settings)So can I assume this means my computer is going to sleep on its own and i dont have to choose sleep from the apple menue?
You are correct.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflitskyle View Post
It is not the same sleep mode. If you make your brightness of your screen go all the way down the computer is not "sleeping" but after awhile with the brightness all the way down it will fall asleep.
Not necessarily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
It all depends on your settings.
This.

Mine is set to never go to sleep. I just found that annoying. I set it to put the display to sleep only. Maybe I should re-think that. (?)
QUOTE Thanks
mattg3

Something different happens when imac goes to sleep on its own vs. choosing sleep option on apple menu.My magicjack phone stays on when imac goes to sleep on its own and remains with dialtone when I wake up imac.
My magicjack light goes off when i click sleep from apple menu and when i wake it up the magicjack light comes on but phone not usable with no dialtone until i unplug and replug magicjack into usb.
Perhaps something happens with usb ports when you choose sleep mode and they loose power vs. letting imac fall asleep on its own which keeps the ports powered up?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Something different happens when imac goes to sleep on its own vs. choosing sleep option on apple menu.My magicjack phone stays on when imac goes to sleep on its own and remains with dialtone when I wake up imac.
My magicjack light goes off when i click sleep from apple menu and when i wake it up the magicjack light comes on but phone not usable with no dialtone until i unplug and replug magicjack into usb.
Perhaps something happens with usb ports when you choose sleep mode and they loose power vs. letting imac fall asleep on its own which keeps the ports powered up?
The MagicJack is preventing the machine from going to Sleep on its own. When you choose to sleep the machine, then you are overriding the MagicJack.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Rivergull

Rivergull is on a distinguished road

I've owned my iMac desktop for nearly a year and never put it to sleep. Yes, when I leave the room the screen goes dark until I return and use the keyboard...but that's not SLEEP, right? My machine is ON all the time.

So where do I set up SLEEP preferences? and why is this a good thing to do?
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Your system could be sleeping, it depends on your settings.

System Preferences > Energy Saver has all the bells and whistles.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivergull View Post
... and why is this a good thing to do?
This. ???

I just let the display sleep.
QUOTE Thanks
Rivergull

Rivergull is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by immdb View Post
Your system could be sleeping, it depends on your settings.

System Preferences > Energy Saver has all the bells and whistles.
Ah, I found it, thanks. Both 'Computer' and 'Display' are already set to "Sleep" at 15 minutes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Horrible Write Speed!!!! HALP!!! | G5 white screen with external interrupt »