Does my imac go to sleep when screen goes dark?
    Im confused in what the difference is between when I click on sleep mode and when my energy saver preference has the screen reduce brightness and then go dark.Is this the same mode or is sleep mode different from the energy saver mode the computer goes into on its own?

Specs:
    MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
    It is not the same sleep mode. If you make your brightness of your screen go all the way down the computer is not "sleeping" but after awhile with the brightness all the way down it will fall asleep.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    It all depends on your settings.

Because I use shared iTunes and other video libraries - a couple of my computers are set for the screen to turn off but the computer itself is set to never go to sleep.

Others are set for the screen after 15 minutes and the computer after 30.

That setting for the screen to reduce brightness before going to sleep was turned off within a month after getting my first notebook. That's got to be one of the most annoying things I've ever seen on a computer.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

My energy preferences are to put computer to sleep after 15 minutes and display sleep at 15 minutes(default settings)So can I assume this means my computer is going to sleep on its own and i dont have to choose sleep from the apple menue?

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
    My energy preferences are to put computer to sleep after 15 minutes and display sleep at 15 minutes(default settings)So can I assume this means my computer is going to sleep on its own and i dont have to choose sleep from the apple menue?
    You are correct.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by roflitskyle View Post
    It is not the same sleep mode. If you make your brightness of your screen go all the way down the computer is not "sleeping" but after awhile with the brightness all the way down it will fall asleep.
    Not necessarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    It all depends on your settings.
    This.

Mine is set to never go to sleep. I just found that annoying. I set it to put the display to sleep only. Maybe I should re-think that. (?)

Something different happens when imac goes to sleep on its own vs. choosing sleep option on apple menu.My magicjack phone stays on when imac goes to sleep on its own and remains with dialtone when I wake up imac.
    My magicjack light goes off when i click sleep from apple menu and when i wake it up the magicjack light comes on but phone not usable with no dialtone until i unplug and replug magicjack into usb.
    Perhaps something happens with usb ports when you choose sleep mode and they loose power vs. letting imac fall asleep on its own which keeps the ports powered up?

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
    Something different happens when imac goes to sleep on its own vs. choosing sleep option on apple menu.My magicjack phone stays on when imac goes to sleep on its own and remains with dialtone when I wake up imac.
    My magicjack light goes off when i click sleep from apple menu and when i wake it up the magicjack light comes on but phone not usable with no dialtone until i unplug and replug magicjack into usb.
    Perhaps something happens with usb ports when you choose sleep mode and they loose power vs. letting imac fall asleep on its own which keeps the ports powered up?
    The MagicJack is preventing the machine from going to Sleep on its own. When you choose to sleep the machine, then you are overriding the MagicJack.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

where to set up SLEEP preferences
    I've owned my iMac desktop for nearly a year and never put it to sleep. Yes, when I leave the room the screen goes dark until I return and use the keyboard...but that's not SLEEP, right? My machine is ON all the time.

So where do I set up SLEEP preferences? and why is this a good thing to do?

Specs:
    Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
    Your system could be sleeping, it depends on your settings.

System Preferences > Energy Saver has all the bells and whistles.
    I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivergull View Post
    ... and why is this a good thing to do?
    This. ???

I just let the display sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by immdb View Post
    Your system could be sleeping, it depends on your settings.

System Preferences > Energy Saver has all the bells and whistles.
    Ah, I found it, thanks. Both 'Computer' and 'Display' are already set to "Sleep" at 15 minutes.

Thread Information