New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

27" iMac Hum Resolved

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

My wife's new 27" iMac was producing a noticeable and annoying low frequency humming sound. At first I thought it was coming from the screen, so I shut that down. The hum persisted. Then I put the iMac to sleep. The hum went away. It came back as soon as the iMac woke up. I had visions of hauling it down to the store for a genius bar appointment, etc. Then I turned the iMac around and put my ear to the back of the case to try to isolate the area where the hum was originating. Imagine my surprise when I didn't hear any hum at all. At first I was confused by that. Then I gently picked up the iMac, lifting it off the counter top on which it was sitting. The hum immediately ceased. The hum came back as soon as I set the iMac back down. So it wasn't an electrical hum at all, it was a hum produced mechanically by vibration propagating from the iMac to the glass counter top. The glass was humming. I put fairly heavy felt pads on the bottom of the iMac stand, and the hum is virtually gone. It's no problem any more. And, I'm sure that a more sophisticated vibration dampening solution would eliminate the hum altogether. Just wanted to share the information.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Very interesting.
Does it matter what apps you're running or does it do it with no apps at all going on?

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

No apps, just Finder running.
QUOTE Thanks
Frankieboy

Frankieboy is on a distinguished road

Brilliant! Had my new iMac for just over a week when I noticed this low-pitched annoying hum. Didn't remember it being there when I first booted up. Anyway, checked lots of threads here and was on the verge of reluctantly returning my machine when I came across your post. Tried lifting the machine as you describe and it went! I have a hard floor and desktop and the sound was entirely caused by reflected vibration. Have just put some felt feet under the base and it's now virtually silent. I see Amazon also sell cheap 'vibration-free feet' for exactly this purpose. Thanks for posting your solution, you certainly saved me considerable time and trouble.
QUOTE Thanks
davidcrickett

davidcrickett is on a distinguished road

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I lifted my iMac 27 from the table, and the humming disappeared!
QUOTE Thanks
donlon

donlon is on a distinguished road

I just fittet some sound isolating felt from an old PC to the bottom of my iMac stand, and it removed 80-90 % of the humming :-)

Thanks for you great tip :-)
QUOTE Thanks
rjcarte

rjcarte is on a distinguished road

Oh what a relief!! This worked a treat...

I had this exact problem... annoying low pitch humming noise...

I've put my iMac on a marble chopping board (!) and its worked a treat. No sound at all now!

:-D
QUOTE Thanks
rafem

rafem is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27 in 2.7Ghz i5 Quad

I want to thank you!! Looking for an answer to another issue I came across your solution and bingo! My hum gone!!

rafeman, the lightchaser
QUOTE Thanks
SLOimac

SLOimac is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I would just like to confirm I have exactly the same humming low pitch very anoying noise in my 27" iMAC. I5, 12GB RAM, 1TB HD.

I fat book and rubber vibration absorbers under iMAC stand helped a bit but that's not really a solution. I wan't a silent computer. With Apple and 21 cent. I though I might finnaly get lucky. NOT!

Now it's reading laws, returning to store, talking to service people,...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Opening and closing applications and documents | 2.7GHz or 3.1GHz CPU? »