Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   27" iMac Hum Resolved (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/224581-27-imac-hum-resolved.html)

VegasGeorge 12-28-2010 11:16 PM

27" iMac Hum Resolved

My wife's new 27" iMac was producing a noticeable and annoying low frequency humming sound. At first I thought it was coming from the screen, so I shut that down. The hum persisted. Then I put the iMac to sleep. The hum went away. It came back as soon as the iMac woke up. I had visions of hauling it down to the store for a genius bar appointment, etc. Then I turned the iMac around and put my ear to the back of the case to try to isolate the area where the hum was originating. Imagine my surprise when I didn't hear any hum at all. At first I was confused by that. Then I gently picked up the iMac, lifting it off the counter top on which it was sitting. The hum immediately ceased. The hum came back as soon as I set the iMac back down. So it wasn't an electrical hum at all, it was a hum produced mechanically by vibration propagating from the iMac to the glass counter top. The glass was humming. I put fairly heavy felt pads on the bottom of the iMac stand, and the hum is virtually gone. It's no problem any more. And, I'm sure that a more sophisticated vibration dampening solution would eliminate the hum altogether. Just wanted to share the information.

MYmacROX 12-28-2010 11:21 PM

Very interesting.
Does it matter what apps you're running or does it do it with no apps at all going on?

VegasGeorge 12-29-2010 12:39 PM

No apps, just Finder running.

Frankieboy 04-22-2011 09:29 AM

Brilliant! Had my new iMac for just over a week when I noticed this low-pitched annoying hum. Didn't remember it being there when I first booted up. Anyway, checked lots of threads here and was on the verge of reluctantly returning my machine when I came across your post. Tried lifting the machine as you describe and it went! I have a hard floor and desktop and the sound was entirely caused by reflected vibration. Have just put some felt feet under the base and it's now virtually silent. I see Amazon also sell cheap 'vibration-free feet' for exactly this purpose. Thanks for posting your solution, you certainly saved me considerable time and trouble.

davidcrickett 10-21-2011 10:45 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I lifted my iMac 27 from the table, and the humming disappeared!:)

donlon 10-30-2011 11:59 AM

I just fittet some sound isolating felt from an old PC to the bottom of my iMac stand, and it removed 80-90 % of the humming :-)

Thanks for you great tip :-)

rjcarte 11-16-2011 07:06 PM

Oh what a relief!! This worked a treat...

I had this exact problem... annoying low pitch humming noise...

I've put my iMac on a marble chopping board (!) and its worked a treat. No sound at all now!

:-D

rafem 11-30-2011 06:34 PM

iMac hummm

I want to thank you!! Looking for an answer to another issue I came across your solution and bingo! My hum gone!!:D

SLOimac 01-31-2012 07:54 AM

Hello,

I would just like to confirm I have exactly the same humming low pitch very anoying noise in my 27" iMAC. I5, 12GB RAM, 1TB HD.

I fat book and rubber vibration absorbers under iMAC stand helped a bit but that's not really a solution. I wan't a silent computer. With Apple and 21 cent. I though I might finnaly get lucky. NOT!

Now it's reading laws, returning to store, talking to service people,...