New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro Video Card for more than 2 screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

allen_gibberish

allen_gibberish is on a distinguished road

Hello

I'm looking to replace my Mac Pro video card, I have the first Mac Pro (2006) with the standard video card

I don't use it for graphic, video, or games, I just need more than 2 DVI port able to let me use 3 or more screen with a 1920x1080 resolution

I think, considering the Mac Pro came out in 2006, I hope I can find a used video card cheap with those spec, I don't want to spend a lot of money for that thing, I use the Mac Pro for audio, so I need more screens just because I need space to place different programs etc.

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If you currently have the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT video card in your Mac Pro (this was the "standard" video card)...you can install up to 4 of them...allowing you to run up to 8 monitors.

Unfortunately just because a Macintosh is a little on the older side that doesn't mean things are necessarily cheap or cheaper. Used 7300 video cards that are compatible with a Mac Pro still sell for $100-$150 on e-Bay. If you're REALLY lucky...you might be able to get one for as little as $75. If this is "cheap or cheaper" to you...then great!

This is probably the least expensive video card you can get for an older 1st generation Mac Pro.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
allen_gibberish

Sorry but I use all the pci-e for other processing cards, that's why I'm looking for a card with more than 2 outputs
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Nick is telling you to purchase a second 7300 and pop it in slot No. 3 and hook it up to the upper power take off position on the logic board right above where your current card is connected.

Make sure it is a Mac model.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen_gibberish View Post
Sorry but I use all the pci-e for other processing cards, that's why I'm looking for a card with more than 2 outputs
As far as I know...you cannot get a Macintosh compatible video card that has more than two video ports on it.

You could check these products out:

Multiple Monitors for Laptops | Multi-monitors
Do More with A Multi Monitor Adapter

This is usually a solution for folks with Mac laptops or iMacs that want to run two or three external monitors...but this product should work in your Mac Pro situation as well. It's not cheap (somewhere around $200-$300 bucks)...but it's a solution.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
allen_gibberish

yeah, I already seen this.. so, no way...

hey may I ask you another thing?
now I have two monitors, one with DVI port, the other has VGA + adapter and a long cable (I think is around 3 or 5 meters), I see a sort of "shadow" a "delay" of the contour of the image

do you think this is because of the cable length or because it is a poor cable? Because I've payed a lot for it.. but maybe it wasn't great quality... do you suggest some particular cable to avoid that? It's kind of annoying and tiring for the eyes..
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What you may be seeing is called "ringing or echoes" which occur on cables that are either too long or have a high capacitive reactance to the signal. Even though you paid a lot for the cable, it may be of poor quality. Take it back for a refund and try to use a shorter length cable - one that is shielded real well and is of high quality.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Are any of the ports on your current card working? If so you can probably use adapter I reviewed in this article to add a second monitor. If you wanted to add additional monitors that would require an additional device for each monitor. The ATPM 15.08 - Review: OWC USB 2.0 Display Adapter

The price has come down a bit since my review (currently $50 US). I tested it with my MacBook and it works well with the exception of the limitations I discussed in the article. I believe Matrox makes similar devices.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Pro G5 questions | Ram Compatability between 8 and quad core Power Macs »