New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Buying a brand new but dated iMac, good or bad idea?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Make_It_Rayne

Make_It_Rayne is on a distinguished road

I currently own a MacBook that I have had for over 2 years and while it is a good computer, it is getting old and I would like a desktop in my apartment. I'm a college student and don't really want to spend over $1000 on the new iMacs. I want to buy a new iMac Core 2 Duo (Apple iMac Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz 1GB 160GB DVD±RW Radeon X1600 17" AirPort OS X w/Webcam & Bluetooth Apple MA590LL/A iMac
or a new iMac G5 (Apple M9250LL/A Apple iMac G5 M9250LL/A All-in-one Desktop PC - 20-inch Display - PowerPC 970 1.8 GHz Processor - 256 MB RAM - 160 GB Hard Drive - DVD-R/CD-RW - GeForce FX 5200 Ultra - MacOS X 10.3 - 20-inch TFT LCD Display

Would it be a bad idea to buy either of these considering they are older models, even though they are new? Will they be significantly slower for the price than the new iMacs (if so, couldn't I just get a better processor?)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Doesn't make sense to me.

Number one, they're not new. Don't know where you're getting that idea.
Second, you want another computer because your 2 year old one is getting old and you want to purchase machines that are 4 years old for the first link and the second one was discontinued 5 1/2 years ago.

Doesn't mean the purchase is a bad idea in the case of the C2D machine. But your reasoning is inaccurate.
That C2D is probably about the equivalent of your much newer MB, but probably still a better video card in the iMac.
My kid (who's over 30) is still using that model running Tiger and CS3 and seems to be quite content with it.

I wouldn't personally buy one that old without: a) creating a backup from day 1 and b) being prepared to replace the hard drive at any time (this means understanding what it takes to replace a drive in an iMac before you buy it).

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make_It_Rayne View Post
Would it be a bad idea to buy either of these considering they are older models, even though they are new? Will they be significantly slower for the price than the new iMacs (if so, couldn't I just get a better processor?)
Both of the items you showed are for refurbished iMacs. They aren't new, but have been restored to a state where it's pretty much exactly as it was when it was sold from Apple. You might get scratches on them.
As for the price compared to a new with...I'm not even sure myself, because it's a completely different gen iMac. I would rather buy a current gen iMac, even if it had to be slightly used. You can find used ones that still have warranties on them for a little bit more money. The ram is tiny, the hard drive is small. Those will probably become bothersome fast. The processors are bad though. I've used leopard on the 2.0's, and it ran fine.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

If you are going to purchase one of these second hand machines, and the 2GHz is coming up to two years old and the G5 to five years, go for the Intel 2GHz model and pay a little extra to have it beefed up to at least 2GB memory and then purchase Snow Leopard OS X.6 if you do not have it. It is a faster and leaner OS than either Leopard or Tiger.

The original install discs that came with the MacBook will not install on either iMac.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
brairden

brairden has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini

I hope you noticed this:

Quote:
Disclosure:
LCD displays may have cosmetic imperfections that appear as small bright or dark spots. This is common to all LCD displays used in products by all vendors and is not specific to any vendor or brand. Below are the acceptable amounts of "dot defects" for LCD displays that we sell:
15-Inch to 17-Inch:
Total Defects: 8
Bright or Dark Dots (random): 4
Bright or Dark Dots (2 adjacent): 2
Bright or Dark Dots (3 adjacent): 0
Minimum distance between defects: 15 mm (bright to bright dots)
Minimum distance between defects: 5 mm (dark to dark dots)

15" 2.53ghz i5 MacBook Pro (2010) 8gb, 500gb HD - 60gb OWC SSD
13" 2.4ghz MacBook Unibody (late 2008) 4gb, 250gb
24" 2.4ghz Aluminum iMac (mid 2007) 3gb, 1tb
mini 2.0ghz - 32gb iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brairden View Post
I hope you noticed this:
Quote:
Disclosure:
LCD displays may have cosmetic imperfections that appear as small bright or dark spots. This is common to all LCD displays used in products by all vendors and is not specific to any vendor or brand. Below are the acceptable amounts of "dot defects" for LCD displays that we sell:
15-Inch to 17-Inch:
Total Defects: 8
Bright or Dark Dots (random): 4
Bright or Dark Dots (2 adjacent): 2
Bright or Dark Dots (3 adjacent): 0
Minimum distance between defects: 15 mm (bright to bright dots)
Minimum distance between defects: 5 mm (dark to dark dots)
Looks like someone is trying to cover there derrière lol

IMO if you want a near $1000 Mac and can spare another $19 then i would recommend this Refurbed Mac straight from the  store .... Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3 processor .. . . With the i3 processor its a near the latest Mac ... Just saying and this way you future proof yourself ...

Specs of it

Processor 3.06GHz Intel Core i3 processor
Cache 4MB fully shared L3 cache
Memory 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM; supports up to 16GB
Hard drive 500GB Serial ATA1; 7200 rpm
Optical drive Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive with 4x double-layer burning (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Display 21.5-inch (viewable) LED-backlit glossy 16:9 widescreen TFT active-matrix display; 1920 by 1080 pixels; millions of colors; IPS technology
Video Built-in iSight camera; Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, dual-link DVI, and VGA video (requires adapters, sold separately)
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
FireWire One FireWire 800 port; 7 watts
USB Four USB 2.0 ports
SD Card SDXC card slot
Audio Built-in stereo speakers with two internal 17-watt high-efficiency amplifiers, built-in microphone, optical digital audio output/headphone out, optical digital audio input/audio line in
Ethernet Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)
Wireless Built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking2 ; built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
Included accessories Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse
Other Built-in IR receiver
Size and weight Height: 17.75 inches (45.1 cm)
Width: 20.8 inches (52.8 cm)
Depth: 7.42 inches (18.85 cm)
Weight: 20.5 pounds (9.3 kg) 3

See it as a belated Christmas present to yourself

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Wow if you think your MB is old...you are in for a big surprise if you plan on buying either of those two iMacs.

Investing money in dated technology isn't exactly smart or sound reasoning. Especially since you are looking to upgrade from your current MB which you say is old...>_>"

As you can see we aren't scared of telling people how to spend their money.
I would follow TattooedMac's advice and invest in technology that is maybe a little more current. ^-^"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G5 20" 2ghz pre-iSight repair.... | Hangups in Safari and Firefox »