New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G5 Mac Pro OSX install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dakotak

dakotak is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, I have a question, I got an old G5 Mac Pro, the guy who gave it to me did so without a hard drive, He gave me a dmg image of the disk that came with it. The problem is that I dont have another mac to burn the disk or mount the image. I have a portable hard drive I could use to install but how to I get the OS to install on the new hard drive I put in the mac without the disk. I also have DL DVD but I cant find a program that will burn it on pc.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotak View Post
Hi guys, I have a question, I got an old G5 Mac Pro,
No you don't...it's either a G5 OR a Mac Pro...it cannot be both. G5's have a PPC cpu...and Mac Pro's have an Intel cpu...BIG difference. G5's with a PPC cpu cannot install the latest Mac OS...10.6 Snow Leopard...but the Mac Pro with an Intel cpu can.

Quote:
the guy who gave it to me did so without a hard drive, He gave me a dmg image of the disk that came with it. The problem is that I dont have another mac to burn the disk or mount the image. I have a portable hard drive I could use to install but how to I get the OS to install on the new hard drive I put in the mac without the disk. I also have DL DVD but I cant find a program that will burn it on pc.
A .dmg image is NOT a legal way to install the OS on a Macintosh computer. You NEED to purchase your own OS install disk.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dakotak

dakotak is on a distinguished road

He said that it was an image of the disk that came with it, he just didn't want to keep the cd around. And it is an all aluminum desktop mac (not iMac) with duel G5 processors inside it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
He said that it was an image of the disk that came with it, he just didn't want to keep the cd around. And it is an all aluminum desktop mac (not iMac) with duel G5 processors inside it.
If this computer has dual G5 processors...then it's a Powermac G5...NOT a Mac Pro.

The maximum OS for Powermac G5's is OS 10.5.8 "Leopard". Like I mentioned before...a .dmg file is not a legal way of installing the OS onto a Macintosh computer. You either need:

- to get the original disks from the person you got the computer from
- buy some install disc/discs on e-Bay
- call Apple at their "800" number & request a set of replacement discs (there is a charge)

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Be very cautious about computers that arrive without hard drives. Put a second hand SATA drive in and see if it will actually boot up at all. Dual Core G5 2.5GHz machines had big troubles with coolant leaks, as they were liquid cooled, and many G5's had power supply problems.

He has pulled your whatsit with that story about the .dmg file rather than the install DVD alas.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to create a folder on my dock! | iMac not keeping date and time ??? »