New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

What Imac should i get out of these 2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mr dubs

mr dubs is on a distinguished road

Hi i am new to apple macs coming from a pc.

I have 2 macs i can choose from but not sure which to pick.

Here are the specs.

model name: imac
model identifier: imac9,1
processor name: intel core 2 duo
processor speed: 2 ghz
number of processors: 1
total number of cores: 2
L2 cache: 3 mb
memory: 2gb ddr3
bus speed: 1.07 ghz
HARD DISC SIZE: 160 gb

OR

model name: imac
model identifier: imac7,1
processor name: intel core 2 duo
processor speed: 2.4 ghz
number of processors: 1
total number of cores: 2
L2 cache: 4 mb
memory: 2gb ddr2
bus speed: 800 mhz
HARD DISC SIZE: 320 gb

Please tell me which one is best to get.
I would like to up the ram memory to the max, what would that be?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Well what are the prices on the two and what will you be doing with the machine?

That will help us suggest one to suit your needs a little better.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day mr dubs and seasons greetings to you.

Go for the 9.1 with faster memory and system bus speed but something does not ring true as 9.1 models come in 2.66, 2.93 and 3.06GHz speeds only.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
G'day mr dubs and seasons greetings to you.

Go for the 9.1 with faster memory and system bus speed but something does not ring true as 9.1 models come in 2.66, 2.93 and 3.06GHz speeds only.
Actually, the 9.1 did come with a 2.0ghz at one point.

With that said. I would have an extremely hard time getting outdated ram. There are things you can do to work around a slower processor, but you can't do much with slower ram speed.

If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
mr dubs

Hi all,

thanks for your replys.

First of all I will be using one of these machines for editing photos mainly
aswell as surfing the net.

as I said I am very new to macs so really haven't a clue.

got one person saying go for the 9,1 and another saying it will be hard to get
ram for that processor is that right?

Still not sure. lol

thanks again and merry Xmas to u all!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

My bad error sorry. Was an educational release only. Here are the specs:-

iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 20-Inch (Early 2009) Specs (Early 2009/Edu Only, MC015LL/A, iMac9,1, A1224, 2266) @ EveryMac.com

And memory for the 9.1 is readily available from OWC as this was a 2009 model:-

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/DDR3_2009

You can install up to 8GB.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Actually, the 9.1 did come with a 2.0ghz at one point.

With that said. I would have an extremely hard time getting outdated ram. There are things you can do to work around a slower processor, but you can't do much with slower ram speed.
Faster RAM only accounts for a 7-10% increase, at most, over slower, older RAM. 90% of users won't be able to tell the difference between DDR3 1066 and DDR3 1333, heck even DDR2 800 and DDR3 1066. I know I certainly don't see a difference.

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
mr dubs

great info guys thanks.

so which one shall I get?

both going for the same price of 550 GBP

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

I would get the first one, just as it is newer.
The 400 mhz in speed isn't going to be a huge difference in speed if all you're doing is the basics. Plus, it uses a P series processor as opposed to T which means it only pulls 25w of power as opposed to 35w so it just means your machine will run cooler.

As far as RAM goes, the max is 4GB.
Check OWC or Newegg for the RAM. Make sure you are getting 204-pin DDR3 PC-8500 (1066mhz) laptop RAM.

Installing iMac Intel 20" EMC 2133 and 2210 RAM - iFixit There's the guide on how to do it.

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, the 667mhz DDR2 memory that the 7.1iMac came with is a BIG difference from the 1066mhz DDR3 on the 9.1. Also, even a performance gain percentage of only a 2% jump from ddr2 to ddr3, is still considered an impressive gain...when comparing them.

Then there is the bus speed difference. All of which are, in my opinion, more important than gaining .4ghz of processor speed.

You should see noticeably faster load times, as well as better response with programs

If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

Quote:
Sorry, the 667mhz DDR2 memory that the 7.1iMac came with is a BIG difference from the 1066mhz DDR3 on the 9.1. Also, even a performance gain percentage of only a 2% jump from ddr2 to ddr3, is still considered an impressive gain...when comparing them.

Then there is the bus speed difference. All of which are, in my opinion, more important than gaining .4ghz of processor speed.

You should see noticeably faster load times, as well as better response with programs
Sorry, but I don't see a difference between DDR2 800 and DDR3 1066. It's not a noticeable difference and I still do the exact same thing I did on my old PC.

And a faster FSB? Doesn't equate to big gains.

Faster load times are HD related, not RAM or FSB related.

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
Sorry, but I don't see a difference between DDR2 800 and DDR3 1066. It's not a noticeable difference and I still do the exact same thing I did on my old PC.

And a faster FSB? Doesn't equate to big gains.

Faster load times are HD related, not RAM or FSB related.
Where are you getting DDR2 800 from? The imac7.1 has DDR2 667. The imac9.1 had DDR3 1066. The 800 referenced in the 7.1 is for the bus speed, not ram speed!

Also, a higher bus speed allows all the inside connections of a computer to work at a faster speed, meaning faster access to ram, hdd, and the motherboard...which equals faster performance. Faster fsb DOES equate to big gains, even if only going from 800mhz to 1.07ghz! What you are saying is almost complete opposite from the truth!

QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

Quote:
Where are you getting DDR2 800 from? The imac7.1 has DDR2 667. The imac9.1 had DDR3 1066. The 800 referenced in the 7.1 is for the bus speed, not ram speed!

Also, a higher bus speed allows all the inside connections of a computer to work at a faster speed, meaning faster access to ram, hdd, and the motherboard...which equals faster performance. Faster fsb DOES equate to big gains, even if only going from 800mhz to 1.07ghz! What you are saying is almost complete opposite from the truth!
800 mhz is from my old laptop, as a reference.

And FSB is what carries data from RAM to the northrbidge. The HD is not a part of the northbridge so please stop trying to act all high and might when you have no idea what you're talking about. And a FSB increase of that much won't lead to huge gains....
I know what I'm talking about, and have experienced this in real life as well...

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
mr dubs

so what shall it be. I was thinking the newer one Just because it's newer so must be better. I might just close my eyes spin around then grab one. prob the easiest way. lol
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dubs View Post
so what shall it be. I was thinking the newer one Just because it's newer so must be better. I might just close my eyes spin around then grab one. prob the easiest way. lol
Yea, newest is the general consensus

Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac not keeping date and time ??? | Downgrading from Osx 10.6 to 10.5 »