New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Decisions, decisions. (iMac 2010)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sour Apple

Sour Apple is on a distinguished road

Just wondering how well that setup will suit me for what I need.

My limit is $1,500, but obviously the better deal I can get is what I'll go with.

I have three configurations in mind, all refurbs.
-21.5" , i3 3.2GHz , 4 GB, 1 TB, ATI 5670 512MB... $1,269 (Save 15%)
-27" , C2D 3.06GHz, 4GB, 1 TB, ATI 4670 256MB...$1,269 (Save 25%)
-27" , i3 3.2GHz, 4GB, 1 TB, ATI 5670 512MB...$1,439 (Save 15%)

Screen size is hard to decide upon. I've heard very mixed reactions to the size of the screen and I don't know if the 27" would be worth the extra almost $200.

I spend the majority of my time on the computer:
-Web browsing.
-Music / video streaming.
-Light gaming (Starcraft II and some Java based games).
-Word processing / PowerPoint.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Apple View Post

Screen size is hard to decide upon. I've heard very mixed reactions to the size of the screen and I don't know if the 27" would be worth the extra almost $200.
Are you thinking clearly???...where can you get a 27" display (with the resolution of 2560 by 1440) for only $200 more than a 21" display!

Have you priced the cost of the Apple 27" Cinema Display???...it costs $999:

Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel) - Apple Store (U.S.)

In a sense...subtract roughly $999 from any 27" iMac you would buy...and the remainder is what you're paying for the computer, keyboard, and mouse!

Consider the example of the 27" iMac you have listed above for $1269. Subtract $999 from $1269...and that comes out to just $270 dollars for the computer part of the iMac, keyboard, and mouse.

Seems like a pretty darn decent deal to me!!!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Sour Apple

So, even though it's a older processor, slower processor speed, and less GPU power, you'd still go with it because of the extra 5.5" or is there more to it than I'm seeing?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So, even though it's a older processor, slower processor speed, and less GPU power, you'd still go with it because of the extra 5.5" or is there more to it than I'm seeing?
You can purchase any 27" iMac you want (core 2 duo, i3, i5, etc.). I was only using the $1269 27" iMac as an example.

And yes...there may be more to it than you're seeing than the extra 5.5". The resolution on the:

- 21" iMac is 1920 by 1080 (a very good resolution)
- 27" iMac is 2560 by 1440 (a humongous resolution)

Doing the math...that makes the 27" iMac's display more than 77% LARGER than the 21" iMac's display. That's a HUGE difference for just $200 extra (as you mentioned in the original post)!!!

I'm simply addressing the fact that you're getting one heck of a BIGGER display for just an extra $200.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
It still makes for a pretty powerful MAc that will take on basically all tasks out there ATM ... And on that i would get for my $1500

27" , i3 3.2GHz, 4GB, 1 TB, ATI 5670 512MB...$1,439 (Save 15%)

You also need to think about Future Proofing and in getting this one, being the latest model, you have done just that ... And with a $260 drop off the full price model ..

Good luck

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Sour Apple

I would have to agree with you both, the 27" is awesome, and I think you both have convinced me to get that. As far as which of the two, I'm leaning towards the i3. Simply because of the updated and as TattooedMac put it, 'Future Proofing' (e.g. i3 vs C2D).

Also, I mean, I'm not one to get all into the hype of rumours, but CNET is pretty sure of themselves when they say they will be refreshing the iMac lineup. Is it worth the wait until January at CES to find out or just take my shot now?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Also, I mean, I'm not one to get all into the hype of rumours, but CNET is pretty sure of themselves when they say they will be refreshing the iMac lineup. Is it worth the wait until January at CES to find out or just take my shot now?
There's always a newer & possibly better computer around the corner...and if you want to wait for that newer iMac model...go ahead. But then what about the new models after that. It's like a dog chasing his tail...most of the time he never gets it!

Also remember...that when the new iMac models come out (and who really knows when that will be???)...you will pay TOP DOLLAR for them...maybe more than your budget will allow.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Sour Apple

I know, I tend to find myself doing it all the time. Trust me, it's horrible. But with my first Mac, I just want to get it right and be happy with it.

Great point about the price, I'd just be killed if what CNET said turned out to be true, about Apple introducing a more 'mainstream' iMac, which equals lower prices.

The vicious cycle never ends, does it?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I know, I tend to find myself doing it all the time. Trust me, it's horrible. But with my first Mac, I just want to get it right and be happy with it.

Great point about the price, I'd just be killed if what CNET said turned out to be true, about Apple introducing a more 'mainstream' iMac, which equals lower prices.

The vicious cycle never ends, does it?
I TOTALLY understand the "tug of war" you're struggling with with this computer purchase decision. I'm trying to help you remove the emotional part from the buying decision...and make the decision based on logic & value!

Just the way "Spock" would do it!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Sour Apple

Yeah, it's horrible. I still got a few days left before I need to return my HP Envy 17 (my failed third one, which is leading me to purchase a Mac) so I'm going to wait till CES and if the price isn't right or the date is too far off, I'm pulling the trigger on that one FOR SURE.
QUOTE Thanks
50voltphantom

50voltphantom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB

I know if it were me, I'd wait for the new batch with new models supposedly close on the horizon. I can't wait to see what new ones have to offer. Currently, I want a MacBook Air so bad it hurts. 13 second boot times = amazing.

Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 500 GB HD OS 10.6.8 Magic Trackpad- eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 Grape 400 MHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD OS 10.4.11 iSub - iPad 2 16GB - iPod Classic 120 GB - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB - Apple TV 2
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom View Post
I know if it were me, I'd wait for the new batch with new models supposedly close on the horizon.
Please cut and paste this portion into every message you post, at all times of the year, because it is ALWAYS TRUE.

Playing the waiting game is a fool's errand.

Quote:
Currently, I want a MacBook Air so bad it hurts. 13 second boot times = amazing.
I don't own a MacBook Air, but I have clients who do (the new ones, I mean). My impression having worked with them for a while now is that they are lightning fast ... until you actually tax them with real work. Then they bog down.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom View Post
Currently, I want a MacBook Air so bad it hurts. 13 second boot times = amazing.
I think that what makes the MacBook Air seem so fast is the SSD drive. There are a number of reviews that have said that the MacBook Air (with a 1.86ghz cpu and an SSD drive) seems so much faster (or performs much faster) than you would expect from a 1.86ghz cpu...and it actually does impact some benchmarks allowing it to score on some parameters almost as well as Macbook's with a faster cpu.

So if it's this sort of performance that has you "drooling" for a MacBook Air...just get an SSD drive & install it into any new Macintosh computer...be it a Mac-mini, MacBook, MacBook Pro, or iMac...of course even a Mac Pro...but not too many of us own a nice new 8-core Mac Pro!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
50voltphantom

50voltphantom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB

^my next Mac is going to have an SSD, regardless of model.

Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 500 GB HD OS 10.6.8 Magic Trackpad- eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 Grape 400 MHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD OS 10.4.11 iSub - iPad 2 16GB - iPod Classic 120 GB - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB - Apple TV 2
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

I also think it's the SSD that makes the MacBook Air seem so fast. For most people the speed of the hard drive will be the most noticeable speed improvement. Things like boot times, application startup, saving and opening documents, etc will all be a lot faster. These are things that everyone does often when they use their computers.

Faster processor speeds and more RAM aren't really that noticeable until you have done something intensive on your computer to fully max out the performance on it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Random Sleep Mode / Overheating Issue (iMac G5) | IMAC probs (fan loudly blowing when turned on) »