New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

KVM? how 2 control 1 iMac from 2 places

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

morenu

morenu is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have been researching how i might do this, and am having trouble finding the right product. any help would be fantastic.

My wife has an iMac 24" purchased in 2010 and she would like to have it in her office. she would also like to have a monitor keyboard and mouse located out by the kitchen (50' away) that connects and controls that same iMac. DVI and usb are what I need I think, (spare monitor has DVI, Dsub, RGB connections, and an integrated USB hub so single usb and DVI would let me hook up a USB mouse and keyboard I think)

I have done this with a PC before but they have been close enough to use long cables and a KVM extender/switcher.

I would rather keep the price tag under $350 (otherwise I may suggest she get another Mac of some-sort and use some form of shared storage for both). I have seen some that use cat5 cable witch would be much easier to run.

googling it gets me too many different products and unsure if they are doing what I need. any links or suggestions would be great.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
silver.surfer

silver.surfer is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure this response will be exactly what you had in mind, but it should do what you want. Get a good used MacMini, and install VNC on it to VNC over to the iMac. I would think a G4 Mini would be more than sufficient to do what you want. (and then networking... whether cabled or wireless....)

If you don't like that plan, I still don't know if a KVM would be exactly what you're wanting, but then again my only exposure with that has been using a single set of devices (Keyboard, mouse, and display....) to be able to interface to multiple CPUs. I've never done it the other way around, like you're wanting to. I'm sure the USB + video repeaters like you mentioned would take care of it, but I don't know which way is *THE* way to go on this...

hope that helps, a little....
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Welcome to Mac-Forums
If you have a smart phone (i'm thinking iphone or android phone or even an ipod touch) you could also use vnc viewer on them with vnc server installed on the mac.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
morenu

morenu is on a distinguished road

Thankyou for your suggestions. I am not sure either will work though. I am looking for her to use the computer as normal through a cloned display and a second set of mouse and keyboard.

I have done it with a PC before.

Literally used the the one computer in the one room and ran a KVM extender so I could put a second monitor, keyboard and mouse in another room next door and use the computer from either room. obviously only one "station" could be used at a time but it worked well otherwise

small screen of a phone is no good but maybe the mac mini idea would work assuming it can hook to a 24" monitor..
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I was gonna suggest using an iPad to control the other computer but unless you catch a deal that's a bit out of the budget. I thought I had seen some extenders though that use Cat 5 Ethernet wire to make the connection. I'll let you know.

Update: The initial devices that I saw extended VGA signals and the older keyboard and mouse connections. I wonder if the following two devices couldn't kludge together a working solution assuming you are willing to run Ethernet cable.

| USB 2.0 Extenders
and either HDMI | Video Extenders or DVI| Video Extenders.

This is kind of a kludge and neither of these devices mentions Mac functionality so I would give them a call first. They are pretty good about answering questions and suggesting alternatives.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Shelf Life of an iMac? | Graphics Card »