New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Audio Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gsibley

gsibley is on a distinguished road

I have one 24" iMac (18 months old) and two mac minis (brand new). Upon purchasing the two mac mini's for my kids I also I purchased external speakers for all 3 macs. All 3 sets of speakers were the regular one line (non USB) style of plug in line, and all gave me the same non-recognition problems, meaning, when I went to the sound settings on all 3 macs, it only was recognizing the internal speakers. However, when I bought my USB line speakers home from work, all 3 macs will recognize the USB line speakers. This is soooo weird. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Are you sure the speaker input plugs are of the right type to match the input on the iMac and the Mini machines? And, are you plugging the speakers into the correct port? The new Mini machine has both an audio out and audio in port which are next to each other.
QUOTE Thanks
gsibley

chscag ... yes .... Ive tried all ports - trust me. And as for the speakers they are the clear harmon kardon speakers, I purchased them at the Apple Store. heeeelp
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Need a bit more info... Are these the speakers you purchased from the Apple store? (they're the only clear HK speakers listed)
QUOTE Thanks
gsibley

No. THese are them ...
Harman Kardon SoundSticks III 2.1 Channel Sound System
Exceptional sound quality and stunning style on your desktop.
A 6-inch, 20-watt downward-firing powered subwoofer. Eight 1-inch full-range transducers. Plug-and-play compatibility with virtually any multimedia device. And stunning industrial design that perfectly matches the clarity of the sound.

Odyssey transducers with computer-optimized equalization
Outstanding bass performance
Touch volume and mute controls
Subwoofer volume control
Angle-adjustable satellites
QUOTE Thanks
gsibley

So when i have them plugged in and look at the output options it only shows "headphones" and the headphone port option
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Thanks for posting back. I just looked them up on the HK site and as far as I can tell, they should work with your iMac and Mini machines. When plugged in the speakers should show up in System Preferences, Sounds.

Do you have the power on for the HKs when you plug them in? Powered systems will not show up unless they're fired up first. (I assume you did but need to ask anyway.)
QUOTE Thanks
gsibley

yes powered up. tried unplugging, rebooting, the works - at a total loss
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsibley View Post
So when i have them plugged in and look at the output options it only shows "headphones" and the headphone port option
If you Have them unplugged, what does it show in System Preferences? On My iMac, if I have no speakers plugged in, it shows Internal Speakers Built-in. If I plug my speakers in, it shows Headphones Built-in. I am also able to adjust the volume or mute of the headphones when they are plugged in, and it is independent of the settings when no speakers are plugged in.

The only suggestion I can offer is to make sure nothing is muted when the speakers are plugged in. Other than that, I have no clue.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

My question would be, you have selected the headphone port while they're plugged in?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
gsibley

Guys ... problem solved. Albeit embarrassing but i will reveal the truth. These "stick" speakers have a volume control thats almost totally blended into the clear plastic and chrome look. I mean its sexy looking but sure aint lump out and scream Im a volume control!!! Duh! So yup I never noticed this and , well, errr, the volume was all the way down. So sorry guys!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

In addition to what bobtomay posted... I have a set of speakers plugged into my headphone audio output jack (2008 MacBook) and the sound preferences show "headphones" but the speakers play fine.

Even though it doesn't show the HK speakers as output, do they play OK?

Edit: I just saw your post. Missed by a minute.

Glad to hear problem solved. Have fun and return often.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Heh, no worry. We all do it. Seems like every time I have a problem, I figure it out about 2 minutes after posting the question.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What to do with a G4 450Mhz cube | Imac i3 running slow »