iMac G5 20" 2ghz pre-iSight repair....
    Hi all....

I have installed a cap kit on the motherboard of this G5 iMac, but while I was cleaning up the flux after soldering, I found a blob of solder on a resistor position! The solder blob would have been bigger than the resistor itself, so even though I tried to get the solder off without removing the resistor, I have no resistor. And maybe there just wasn't a resistor there in the first place. I'm just hoping someone's got one of these boards they can flip over and check out for me. It's R3225. It's right next to one of the banks of electrolytic capacitors, and it's there all by itself (if it's there at all, I mean). There are actually four pads there for the resistor to be soldered to, so if there is a resistor there, I need to know which pads it's on in addition to the resistor value. I'm hoping there's just no resistor there at all though....

thanks for reading this!

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    I have the service manual on that machine but not sure it shows that much detail, but I will look and get back to you if I can find that part number on the board.

Some pads are empty that I have seen on some boards.

thank you very much! I do see that there are a number of other empty pads on the board, so it's entirely possible there's nothing that goes there. But if you know, that would be great!

thanks again!

WAIT!!! I've just realized that I typed in the wrong number. Stupid numerical dyslexia... It's R3325, not 3225. Very very sorry....

I'm not sure what I should do concerning this. I don't know if I risk it just not running without any resistor there (if there should be one, that is), or if something could blow up, and then I'd be entirely screwed on this. Anyone have an idea?

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    Leave soldering motherboards to experts!

It is no job for the amateur or the faint hearted. Do a Google and see if you can find a service manual for your model iMac, usually about $5.00 for a downloadable copy.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Reason I never got back is the service manual does not show any close ups of the traces and pads so I really could not (even blew up) see the info you need! I have the real apple manual BTW.

I'm not sure how/when one determines that they're an "expert" at something, but I do this type of thing for a living. But I don't work with lead-free boards much at all. Anyway, even experts slip (whether I'm an expert or not) sometimes.

DTravis7 - do you have that image in some kind of digital format, that I could look at? I might be able to spot the pads/resistor, even if I can't read the location in the image.

Specs:
    I will see what I can do and get back to you with anything I can get pic wise of the Logicboard.

Thread Information