New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Desktop help - Really could use the guidance!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kaydewith.uh.d

kaydewith.uh.d is on a distinguished road

Okay, I have no idea if this is the correct forum, but I figured I'd start here.

I'm a high school student, a third year photography student and have about 4000 photos. I'm no longer continuing photography at my high school as of next year, and my parents have agreed to do something about a computer with Photoshop (probably CS5). My father's office runs on PC's because they have too, so, since they run on PC's we've ALWAYS had a PC. My mom, whom I currently share a computer with, has been working on a PC for 30 years and is REALLY hesitant to switch over to a Mac. So, with that, I really could use some help. I know from research, and personal experience, that Photoshop simply runs better on Macs. I have Elements 7 on my PC and it's truly awful using it, it's so slow!! I also use CS3 on a Mac desktop at school, and it works great.

So really, my need of guidance is, do Macs really better with Photoshop? If so, which Mac should I suggest to my mom? I was almost thinking that one of the Macbook Pro's would be the best idea, since I'm leaving for school in about a year and a half. If the laptop is the better idea, which one? If she doesn't accept that idea well, which Mac Desktop should I suggest? Is there a certain amount of Hard drive we should have?

Kayde
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I wouldn't say photoshop runs better on a Mac than an equivalent PC

I would say that OSX has better memory management than 32 bit Windows, so if you have the RAM, then photoshop will be able to use that resource, especially Photoshop CS5 - which runs as a 64 bit app on OSX

I would go for the MacBook Pro anyway, regardless of any advantage to PhotoShop's performance. OS X is simply a better OS IMO, and I find a Mac just gets out of the way and lets me get on with my work and play

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydewith.uh.d View Post
So really, my need of guidance is, do Macs really better with Photoshop? If so, which Mac should I suggest to my mom? I was almost thinking that one of the Macbook Pro's would be the best idea, since I'm leaving for school in about a year and a half. If the laptop is the better idea, which one? If she doesn't accept that idea well, which Mac Desktop should I suggest? Is there a certain amount of Hard drive we should have?
If you're pursuing photography, graphic design or, well, anything creative for your future studies, simply put you need a Mac. That's what the creative industries use almost exclusively. A photographer who doesn't use a Mac is like a receptionist who doesn't play Solitaire. They exist, but are rare in the wild.

Photoshop itself, PER SE, is nearly identical on both platforms. Where the difference comes into play is the OS. Mac OS X is superior to Windows. Period, end of story. Not even going to bring up viruses, no need.

For creative people I generally recommend EITHER a 15" MacBook Pro (pimped out) with a separate large monitor back at "home base" you can use as a second screen at home, OR a 27" iMac.

You simply cannot go wrong with either machine.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I wouldn't say that Photoshop runs better on so and so Operating System. It really depends on what that person is use to.

I like how Photoshop functions on a Mac where I can see my desktop. A Windows user might not like that as they are use to full screen mode or where they have a gray working area.

Photoshop can run on a Mac Mini if you really wanted to...

13 or 15" MBP would work.

Any of the iMacs for a desktop will run Photoshop.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why aren't computers really "faster"? | power Mac G4 mMDD »