New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

power Mac G4 mMDD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ronbo191

ronbo191 is on a distinguished road

A friend gave me a G4 MDD that he did not want anymore. When I saw it, it was running, but I heard that it took him about 2 hours to get it to power on. When he gave it to me he said if it did not power up when I got it home pull the plug and wait for 10 minutes. If that does not work then pull the battery and wait for 30 minutes and try it again. If that does not work then hit the pram reset button. I never got it to power up yet and I have had it a week. Do all Mac's have this voodoo ritual that must be done to power them up? There must be something wrong somewhere. I thought the power supply might be bad but he did get it to power up? I Google' d for a picture of the pin-out for the power supply and found that pin 12 is ground and pin 11 is power on. Shorting these pins does nothing, no fans turning in the power supply. On any PC when you short out the ground and power on the supply will turn on. I guess a Mac is different. I have a new 400 watt ATX power supply that I could try but I want to find a way to check the one that is in there now before I go through all that work, remember, he did have it working before I took it home. I have checked all connections and everything is seated. Am I missing anything? Believe me, I have been searching Google all week for an answer and came up with nothing. I found this forum and thought I would give it one last go before I strip it of the memory and drives.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sounds like a failed power supply and they sure ain't cheap. Sometimes a dying PS will power up, most times not. When it fails completely it is gone. Have a look at this and if you are technically minded an ATX power supply will do the trick. There are many examples of this, with photos, if you do a Google:-

http://www.applefritter.com/node/23857

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
ronbo191

Fair dinkum m8. That looks like it might just do the trick. I'll give it a go. Thanks for the help....
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

When was the last time a new battery was installed.
QUOTE Thanks
ronbo191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
When was the last time a new battery was installed.

That I am not sure of that. I did check the battery with a multimeter and it was the correct voltage. I would have thought the battery was only to back up the bios settings like on a PC.
QUOTE Thanks
Reiner2112

Reiner2112 is on a distinguished road

I can personally attest to the importance of a fresh $15 dollar battery! It does some funky things if it isn't fresh! Fresh is good!

24"iMac 3.06ghz ,13.3" MacBook 2.4ghz . G4 1.25 GHZ,
Chromatic 4th G 8GB Nano, iPhone 3Gs 16 GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Desktop help - Really could use the guidance! | Low Recording volume in garageband »