New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro vs. IMac for Video Editing...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ravencr

ravencr is on a distinguished road

I currently own the latest edition of the Macbook Pro 17" that I've fully max'd out for ram after purchasing it. I use Adobe Premier CS4 for editing 1080p and 720p video. The Macbook Pro really can't keep up, making my editing hard to accomplish quickly, especially when rendering a video. It plays the video choppy when editing, which makes editing really hard to accomplish, obviously. It will do it, otherwise, with no problems, other than being slow as molasses when rendering.

My question is should I get a IMac 27" fully loaded or a comparable Mac Pro, and what would be the benefits of one or the other for my application/use? I usually have PhotoShop, Premier, Mail, & Chrome open nearly all the time, and I want something that will smoothly play 1080p video when editing the movie and can render the video much quicker than my MBP.

Your help is greatly appreciated...

Chris
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you can afford to spend the money, the Mac Pro is a good choice because of its ability to be upgraded and the availability of high quality video adapters. MacWorld Magazine testing labs gives it the highest speed and power bench mark of any of the current Macs including the best 27" iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

The i7 in a 27inch iMac would be better than the quad core of the Mac Pro. 2 Quad Cores in a Mac Pro would probably be better than the i7 but that starts at $3499.

Get at least 8GB of RAM in your desktop (of your choice) or get 4GB and upgrade it aftermarket. 16GB is ideal but quite expensive still.

Ideally you would want a workstation graphics card (available aftermarket in the Mac Pro), not an ATI Raedon series (found in iMac and Mac Pro)

The Mac Pro would be the best with the dual quad cores + workstation graphics card, but that's gonna set you back a few grand. The iMac 27" with an i7 would be more economical but you would notice a slight lag in performance between the two.

So basically you want:
8GB min. of RAM
i7 / dual quad cores (the single quad on the base Mac Pro is a little older tech than the i7 and doesn't support hyper-threading)
Get an external 1/2TB Esata external hard drive
Workstation graphics card (ATI FirePro/GL or NVIDIA Quadro FX)

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. iPhone 5s 64gb

I would get a MacPro because the processor is made to handle tougher tasks without "throttling" down like the i5/i7's, which I've been reading is a real pain for editing. Plus, you will have an easier time transferring media to multiple hdd's, as well as have more connections available. You, obviously, also have the chance to upgrade the graphics on it, which is the best selling point to me, as well as having easier access.

The Imac will get outdated faster than the MacPro.

Unfortunately, it will cost a bit more for the MacPro. I would go refurbished!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Mac Pro. Upgradeable graphics, simple installation of hard and optical drives, simple installation of memory.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My dock | Can't log in to eMac »