New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Imac 27 I5 10,1

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

raycanales

raycanales is on a distinguished road

sorry for all the dumb questions but ive been a pc guy for years and now that I am using a MAC I have lots of questions , this one is about adding a second hard drive to the MAC , what drive can I put in it and how difficult is it for me to do it ?
I have the 1TB it came with and want to add a 1.5 or 2TB

thanks for your help
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I do not recommend adding a second internal hard drive to your new iMac. The reasons are as follows:

1. It may void your warranty.

2. Gaining access to the inside of your new iMac is a moderately difficult task as the entire front panel display assembly must first be removed. See the details at iFixit: The free repair manual.

3. You may damage delicate internal components. See reason 1. We have already gone through one thread here where that is exactly what happened when the owner attempted to add a SSD.

My advice is to purchase a nice large fast external hard drive such as the "Mercury on the go" series from OWC. These drives are very fast and have firewire capability.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycanales View Post
sorry for all the dumb questions but ive been a pc guy for years and now that I am using a MAC I have lots of questions , this one is about adding a second hard drive to the MAC , what drive can I put in it and how difficult is it for me to do it ?
I have the 1TB it came with and want to add a 1.5 or 2TB

thanks for your help
Ok...one place to start as a new Macintosh computer person is...it's not a "MAC"...it's a "Mac".

As far as your hard drive question...I wasn't quite sure if you were asking about replacing the internal HD in your iMac...or if you wanted to install a 2nd internal HD?

If you were talking about installing a 2nd internal HD...can't do it. The newest iMacs can only have one "traditional" internal HD (but it is possible to install a 2nd SSD drive...but it's really more of a "hack"...and not really recommended). If you want or need a 2nd HD...it would be best if it was an external drive. You can replace your iMac's internal HD with a larger model...but replacing an internal HD on your iMac is not very easy.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
raycanales

raycanales is on a distinguished road

thanks for the advice I think Im going with the External HDD that would be much easier for me to install
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imacs vs. mac mini and mac pro | Mac Pro Port Issue »