New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac g5 Powerpc REboot problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dxps

dxps is on a distinguished road

Hi all.

I have a reoccuring problem with a G5 I bought about 5 years ago from a now defunct dealer. This problem has occurred several times over its life and Im stumped. Basically in a nut shell the machine wont reboot. It also wont boot if I shut it down and try to start it back up at anytime within a couple of hours of shutting down. If I leave it overnight it generally does boot up after that.

Im Positive it isnt a hard drive issue as Ive replaced the hard drive 3 times after thinking that was the cause (initially, when it would hang I could get it to boot from the OSX disc so figured it was a hard drive issue as when I ran a diagnostic it showed a problem with the drive - bad sectors or something I cant remember). After its 3rd drive and the same problem recurring, it became apparent that if I left the machine switched off for a period of time, it would boot without issue.

Does anyone have any clue what this might be, or has anyone had this issue and solved the problem?

Cheers
Andy
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Assuming your G5 is not a liquid cooled model as leaking coolant also causes this problem, your post does not say and that helps enormously to provide all information, sounds like you have a dodgy power supply which was a failing on early G5;s such as the 1.6, 1.8, 2 and 2GHz DP's.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dxps

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Assuming your G5 is not a liquid cooled model as leaking coolant also causes this problem, your post does not say and that helps enormously to provide all information, sounds like you have a dodgy power supply which was a failing on early G5;s such as the 1.6, 1.8, 2 and 2GHz DP's.
If it is, Its the noisiest liquid cooling system known to man!

Hi Harry and thanks for the reply. I get where you're coming from with the power supply, but its been doing this for maybe 4 years. I would have thought it would have packed up all together by now and like a beacon directed me to the root cause!

Tis a G5 Powerpc Dual 2.7 running OSX 10.5.8 (not that the OS would make a difference presumably)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Well the 2.7 is liquid cooled and when they leak that corrosive fluid gets into everything, including the logic board. Do a Google on this. Here is a start:-

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/power-macintosh-g5.html

Member baggss had this problem from memory with his liquid cooled G5 so when you see his avatar shoot him a PM.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dxps

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Well the 2.7 is liquid cooled and when they leak that corrosive fluid gets into everything, including the logic board. Do a Google on this. Here is a start:-

Power Mac G5 Index

Member baggss had this problem from memory with his liquid cooled G5 so when you see his avatar shoot him a PM.
Well, on Googling it would appear the most obvious explaination. The Symptoms certainly tie up. Im absolutley gobsmacked to find its liquid cooled judging by the racket the fans make, but there you go, a symptom. Thanks alot for your Help Harry, much appreciated.

I have no Idea what to do now however, this sounds expensive!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxps View Post
Well, on Googling it would appear the most obvious explaination. The Symptoms certainly tie up. Im absolutley gobsmacked to find its liquid cooled judging by the racket the fans make, but there you go, a symptom. Thanks alot for your Help Harry, much appreciated.

I have no Idea what to do now however, this sounds expensive!
Yupp...the Powermac G5 dual 2.7 definitely has a liquid cooling system. You may find these links an interesting read:

PowerMac G5 Coolant Leaks/Repairs

PowerMac G5 Coolant Leak Repair/Overhaul (w/photos)

...if you notice, both articles mention the Powermac G5 dual 2.7ghz.

I'm not sure if you've ever opened up your Powermac G5...but there is some pretty serious plumbing on the inside for the liquid cooling system...which is pretty hard to miss.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Sorry but yes it will be very expensive and not worth the cost alas! Rather than repairs suggest you start considering putting the money towards an Intel machine.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No sound at all - Imac 27" 10.6.5 | Powermacg4 password reset »