New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

powerpc g5 quad late 2005 dual monitor problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mhbtts

mhbtts is on a distinguished road

Hi!

I have a powerpc G5 quad (late 2005) with OS X Leopard 10.5.8
- 4,5 gb ram
- one WD 2 TB hdd and one WD 500GB hdd
- one geforce 6600 256 mb in the pci-e x 16 slot and one geforce 6600 256mb in the pci-e x8 slot
- one apple cinema display with adc to dvi on my x16 geforce 6600 and one Dell 17" flatscreen on the second x8 geforce 6600 card

When I work on one monitor only, everything works perfect and fast. but when i connect the second monitor to my second geforce 6600 card in the x8 slot working with extended desktop, it goes slower and especially when i have my adobe programs open and when i press the exposé keys to show all my programs.

Is this a hardware problem or is this cause os x leopard works slower on a ppc than on intel?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sorry to tell you ADC/DVI is old, old technology and this slows down, and even prevents booting to some extent. This was introduced back in about 2002 to connect CRT/LCD displays to DVI port only graphic cards such as the then faster ATI Radeon 9800, 9600 etc. Even using a single monitor on my previous Dual Core through ADC/DVI adapter, boot times tripled, boot from DiskWarrior and AHT became impossible.

The mains powered adapters are now getting long in the tooth and do not work as near as well as when new ~ heat and time I guess. I also tried the second card in the 8x slot and could only ever get 50% performance at the best.

Have you tried borrowing a second DVI monitor and using that? Also one big problem is that slow old graphics card. Found the ATI Radeon X1900GT with 512MB memory worked much, much better.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
mhbtts

mhbtts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sorry to tell you ADC/DVI is old, old technology and this slows down, and even prevents booting to some extent. This was introduced back in about 2002 to connect CRT/LCD displays to DVI port only graphic cards such as the then faster ATI Radeon 9800, 9600 etc. Even using a single monitor on my previous Dual Core through ADC/DVI adapter, boot times tripled, boot from DiskWarrior and AHT became impossible.

The mains powered adapters are now getting long in the tooth and do not work as near as well as when new ~ heat and time I guess. I also tried the second card in the 8x slot and could only ever get 50% performance at the best.

Have you tried borrowing a second DVI monitor and using that? Also one big problem is that slow old graphics card. Found the ATI Radeon X1900GT with 512MB memory worked much, much better.
i'll check it out with another dvi monitor and see if that's better, but my main screen is an apple cinema display (and old one maybe yes, but i love it, it is way better than some other monitors to my opinion) and i don't really have problems with that geforce 6600 as i'm not doing video editing or gaming things. i just want it to run as fast as normal with one monitor and with os x leopard, not tiger.
so maybe it would help to get more ram and maybe a new dvi monitor?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac OSX problems | General question about Macs and privacy »