New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

General question about Macs and privacy

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tardis2424

tardis2424 is on a distinguished road

So kind of a complicated question but im just about ready to swear off my mac so wanna do some investigating...

So I just reccently started working at a comapny in my hometown that sells only apple products, not apple direct ..

So reccently one of our employees got fired for theft, all well and good he got what he deserved...

But our stores owner is saying hes reporting the mac address of stolen property to the local police and through tht they can track a mac address and get a search warrant...

I have no stolen property but this makes me worry about my systems privacy... Some random bloke can phone the police with my mac address and get my door kicked down?

This doesnt seem overly legal to me ...

Im concerned and will ditch the Mac Os all together if this is true, i would expect this from windows but not mac...

looking for some honest answers are valued here...
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

It doesn't matter on what OS you use all of then have a MAC (Media Access Control address) Addresses.
It's a unique identifier assigned to *all* objects that can connect to the internet.
MAC address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
tardis2424

tardis2424 is on a distinguished road

So they can infact tract that mac and file a police report?...

that seems like a gross invasion of privacy..
QUOTE Thanks
Sonicjet

Sonicjet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13' Macbook Pro i5

They can also track that networked printer, iPod, windoze pc, etc
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

First, some random bloke would have to have the MAC address of your device in order to report it.

Second, that random bloke would also need some proof it was stolen from him.

Third, you will have to ditch the idea of ever getting on the internet again.

Fourth, exactly how would that be an invasion of privacy? In this particular case, the tracking would not be of an individual, but on a single piece of stolen equipment.

Fifth, you are not already aware that every single site you visit has access to your IP address, who your ISP happens to be and more?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

As has been said already, this has nothing to do with the Macintosh computer or OSX. EVERY device with a network port has a MAC (Media Access Controller) address. MAC has nothing to do with OSX or a Macintosh computer.

Bobtomay said the rest of what I would have said and worded it quite well.

If you want to be safe from a MAC address, get off the internet. A Windows system has a MAC address. A linux system has a MAC address. As long as there is a Network controller in the machine, it has a unique MAC address.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And don't worry about it. Experienced investigators will require much, much evidence of stolen property than this yokel's say so. It is usual for a complainant, such as this rooster, to swear an affadavit before they will approach a magistrate/justice/judge for a search warrant.

He is an empty vessel and they make the most noise. Also discuss this with your employer who may well know the local detectives and he can drop a word in their ear about this rooster.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardis2424 View Post
So they can infact tract that mac and file a police report?...

that seems like a gross invasion of privacy..
You clearly didn't read the link he posted.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Half knowledge is more lethal than no-knowledge at all..full knowledge (if possible) is the best thing..you are currently in the half knowledge state..before randomly freaking out, learn a LITTLE bit about how things work..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« powerpc g5 quad late 2005 dual monitor problem | Mac Boot Experts Required: Help me save my firstborn Mac! »