New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Imac garbled screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

overlordlink

overlordlink is on a distinguished road

ok i just recently got a imac from a friend first mac i have ever even touched lol anyways they gave it to me because you can turn it on but after using it for like 2 minutes the screen will mess up and flicker and i was wondering if it was due to a bad connection or if something inside fried or what? but i would be very excited to get this mac up and running if i can.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Sure would be nice if you used a "period" every now & then in your post. There's at least 3-4 sentences in there.

Kind of hard to tell exactly what the screen problem is...but one REALLY likely possibility is that the CRT display (or one of the components) is bad. Most of the CRT G3 iMac's are 8-12 years old...and lots of usage hours eventually wear out CRT displays.

Sorry,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Well it does help if, as Nick states, you improve your typing, and also provide model details. if this is a CRT early model iMac, that is what happens to aging, failing CRT screens.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
...if this is a CRT early model iMac, that is what happens to aging, failing CRT screens.
Harry...you just made me realize that the OP's post never mentioned "G3 iMac"...so thanks for mentioning it!

I think that I assumed "G3 iMac" because the OP said that their friend "gave them this iMac"...and I guess I assumed that flat panel iMac's are still worth too much to "just be given" away. Of course it does sound like something is wrong with this iMac...so I guess it could be a G3, G4, or G5 iMac (or maybe even Intel if it's broken).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
overlordlink

overlordlink is on a distinguished road

Ok well I never have been to good at grammer but I suppose I could try a little better. Anyways the kind of imac i was given is this one hereApple iMac 21.5 in. (MC413LL/A) Mac Desktop - with Front Row - Product details and features - DealTime and I got it from my best friends filthy rich girlfriend. Any who if that gives any info good if not tell me some ideas of simptoms to post cause im at a blank
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlordlink View Post
Anyways the kind of imac i was given is this one here[url=http://www3.dealtime.com/Apple-iMac-MC413LL-A/prices]Apple iMac 21.5 in. (MC413LL/A) Mac Desktop...I got it from my best friends filthy rich girlfriend. Any who if that gives any info good if not tell me some ideas of simptoms to post cause im at a blank
Well I guess I was wrong about it being an iMac G3...that's basically a brand new model computer. That must me one "filthy rich person" to give you this Mac...since even broken it's worth a good bit.

If you've got the iMac model correct (from your link above it would be a "mid-2010 model" iMac)...the computer is still covered under Applecare. Just take it into your nearest Apple Store...and depending on what's wrong with it...they may just fix it for free!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac to pc | New User - Switching to Mac? »