New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac G5 display compatibility

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

The computer repair shop I work at has an iMac G5/2.0GHz ALS with a funky LCD and I'm wondering how compatible the LCDs are between models. We have a parts machine with iSight, but I'd like to be sure before I start tearing this beast apart as I recall certain models of the G5 being really annoying to disassemble.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlil88 View Post
The computer repair shop I work at has an iMac G5/2.0GHz ALS with a funky LCD and I'm wondering how compatible the LCDs are between models. We have a parts machine with iSight, but I'd like to be sure before I start tearing this beast apart as I recall certain models of the G5 being really annoying to disassemble.
I was wondering the same thing the other day when my iMacs display was dim toward the bottom. Turns out in my case it was the power supply causing this.

But I am still interested and will check and get back to you if I can find some for sure info.

Just checked the service manual on both machines. The Inverter and connections to it are different on the ALS model than the iSight so I have a feeling you would have issues getting an iSight display to plug in.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I was wondering the same thing the other day when my iMacs display was dim toward the bottom. Turns out in my case it was the power supply causing this.
I was looking for info on this as well. iFixit doesn't seem to carry many parts for the iMac G5's...so not able to do much parts cross-referencing. If I had to guess (off the top of my head)...I would say that there would be more compatibility between the original iMac G5's & ALS iMac G5's...than with the iMac G5 "iSight".

Given some of the design differences with the iMac G5 iSight. But that doesn't mean that Apple didn't use the same display for all three models.

@OP...let us know what size display we're talking about (17" or 20").

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Nick, agreed totally. The First iMac G5 and the ALS had the same layout inside. The iSight is a totally redesign inside. Front comes off, then Display sits on front of where all the parts are. You have to remove the LCD totally to get to anything. The Inverter (Backlight) wires are different and come out the opposite side of the LCD and look shorter. I will search the manuals and compare part numbers, but they are so different inside and even the inverter board, I doubt it will work.

Will get back later with the part numbers of all 3 iMac LCD's.

EDIT: These are the part numbers for the ALS and iSight. 20" models.

1st = 661-3609
ALS = 661-3622
iSight = 661-3779

The connections look similar on the 1st gen but the part number is different.
QUOTE Thanks
MalcolmH

MalcolmH is on a distinguished road

Hi guys.
I have a Late 2006 17" intel imac, with the vertical lines issue.
I also have a G5 17" imac with a Dead PSU.

I have pulled the LCD from the G5 and fitted the inverter and mounts from the Intel iMac. No problem fits and plugs in just fine.
But...
The iMac will not boot. :-(
Unless the LVDS cable is unplugged from the main board.
Then it boots fine, but no video (duh.)

So the LVDS cables must be different. (I thought that LVDS was standard).

Do your documents list the pin outs of the LVDS port or cables?
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

MH
QUOTE Thanks
romeyn

romeyn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmH View Post
Hi guys.
I have a Late 2006 17" intel imac, with the vertical lines issue.
I also have a G5 17" imac with a Dead PSU.

I have pulled the LCD from the G5 and fitted the inverter and mounts from the Intel iMac. No problem fits and plugs in just fine.
But...
The iMac will not boot. :-(
Unless the LVDS cable is unplugged from the main board.
Then it boots fine, but no video (duh.)

So the LVDS cables must be different. (I thought that LVDS was standard).

Do your documents list the pin outs of the LVDS port or cables?
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

MH
Wow...I have JUST attempted the same procedure! With the same result. The iMac boots fine with the on-board video cable disconnected.

When I plug the OLD cable in (with no display on the other end) I get the same result. No power. I tried hooking up the old display with the old cable...no luck.

I can't imagine what I did that could have caused this. The panel part numbers are identical--it's the same part! Everything is plugged in...the inverter cables are idiot-plugged so I couldn't have screwed them up. There was no "pop", no weird sounds, no odor...

Help?
QUOTE Thanks
romeyn

Update: The iMac shows video on an external display and boots just fine.

Weird...
QUOTE Thanks
MalcolmH

MalcolmH is on a distinguished road

I used the original cable from the intel LCD, on the G5 LCD with no joy.
I mod'ed the g5 display cable to fit, also with no joy.

All I can think of is that there is a difference in the PIN configuration on the two screens, or that the main board is identifying the display and shutting down because it doesn't match.

Mine will shut off the instant the cable is plugged in to the main board.
Boot without the cable in, then insert it and bam... Off.

Maybe a short at the LCD on different pins, and the PSU is going into protect mode..

As to why your system is shutting off when you insert the original cable with NO LCD attached??
Maybe you have it off centre?, maybe the board end of the lead triggers the ID the LCD process and it finds nothing so it stays off? I dont know.

M
QUOTE Thanks
romeyn

UPDATE:

This morning I plugged in the original display (with lines) to the original cable. The computer starts.

Conclusion: Despite being the same basic panel, there's something different about the interface board--where the cable from the motherboard plugs in. I tore the display further apart to see if I could swap that board between displays. No way. There are 6 ribbon cables that join the board to the display and they are decidedly NOT modular. They don't come off!

This really sucks in a way.

Ah, well. On to bigger and better things, I suppose.
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I was looking for info on this as well. iFixit doesn't seem to carry many parts for the iMac G5's...so not able to do much parts cross-referencing. If I had to guess (off the top of my head)...I would say that there would be more compatibility between the original iMac G5's & ALS iMac G5's...than with the iMac G5 "iSight".

Given some of the design differences with the iMac G5 iSight. But that doesn't mean that Apple didn't use the same display for all three models.

@OP...let us know what size display we're talking about (17" or 20").
Forgot to specify in my post but mine are 17" models. Thanks romeyn and MalcolmH for taking the time to perform the experimental surgery in the name of Mac science!

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac lack of tilde key | How to create a folder on my dock! »