Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    kahlil88's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2008
    Location
    Mendocino, CA
    Posts
    682
    Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro A1297 2.3 GHz i7 4GB DDR-1333
    Lightbulb iMac G5 display compatibility
    The computer repair shop I work at has an iMac G5/2.0GHz ALS with a funky LCD and I'm wondering how compatible the LCDs are between models. We have a parts machine with iSight, but I'd like to be sure before I start tearing this beast apart as I recall certain models of the G5 being really annoying to disassemble.
    There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
    Join the FSF as an Associate Member!


  2. #2

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    29,052
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OS10.12, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OS10.12 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by kahlil88 View Post
    The computer repair shop I work at has an iMac G5/2.0GHz ALS with a funky LCD and I'm wondering how compatible the LCDs are between models. We have a parts machine with iSight, but I'd like to be sure before I start tearing this beast apart as I recall certain models of the G5 being really annoying to disassemble.
    I was wondering the same thing the other day when my iMacs display was dim toward the bottom. Turns out in my case it was the power supply causing this.

    But I am still interested and will check and get back to you if I can find some for sure info.

    Just checked the service manual on both machines. The Inverter and connections to it are different on the ALS model than the iSight so I have a feeling you would have issues getting an iSight display to plug in.

  3. #3

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    36,496
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing the other day when my iMacs display was dim toward the bottom. Turns out in my case it was the power supply causing this.
    I was looking for info on this as well. iFixit doesn't seem to carry many parts for the iMac G5's...so not able to do much parts cross-referencing. If I had to guess (off the top of my head)...I would say that there would be more compatibility between the original iMac G5's & ALS iMac G5's...than with the iMac G5 "iSight".

    Given some of the design differences with the iMac G5 iSight. But that doesn't mean that Apple didn't use the same display for all three models.

    @OP...let us know what size display we're talking about (17" or 20").

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  4. #4

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    29,052
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OS10.12, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OS10.12 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Nick, agreed totally. The First iMac G5 and the ALS had the same layout inside. The iSight is a totally redesign inside. Front comes off, then Display sits on front of where all the parts are. You have to remove the LCD totally to get to anything. The Inverter (Backlight) wires are different and come out the opposite side of the LCD and look shorter. I will search the manuals and compare part numbers, but they are so different inside and even the inverter board, I doubt it will work.

    Will get back later with the part numbers of all 3 iMac LCD's.

    EDIT: These are the part numbers for the ALS and iSight. 20" models.

    1st = 661-3609
    ALS = 661-3622
    iSight = 661-3779


    The connections look similar on the 1st gen but the part number is different.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2010
    Posts
    2
    G5 and Intel 17"
    Hi guys.
    I have a Late 2006 17" intel imac, with the vertical lines issue.
    I also have a G5 17" imac with a Dead PSU.

    I have pulled the LCD from the G5 and fitted the inverter and mounts from the Intel iMac. No problem fits and plugs in just fine.
    But...
    The iMac will not boot. :-(
    Unless the LVDS cable is unplugged from the main board.
    Then it boots fine, but no video (duh.)

    So the LVDS cables must be different. (I thought that LVDS was standard).

    Do your documents list the pin outs of the LVDS port or cables?
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

    Thanks

    MH

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Dec 21, 2010
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmH View Post
    Hi guys.
    I have a Late 2006 17" intel imac, with the vertical lines issue.
    I also have a G5 17" imac with a Dead PSU.

    I have pulled the LCD from the G5 and fitted the inverter and mounts from the Intel iMac. No problem fits and plugs in just fine.
    But...
    The iMac will not boot. :-(
    Unless the LVDS cable is unplugged from the main board.
    Then it boots fine, but no video (duh.)

    So the LVDS cables must be different. (I thought that LVDS was standard).

    Do your documents list the pin outs of the LVDS port or cables?
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

    Thanks

    MH
    Wow...I have JUST attempted the same procedure! With the same result. The iMac boots fine with the on-board video cable disconnected.

    When I plug the OLD cable in (with no display on the other end) I get the same result. No power. I tried hooking up the old display with the old cable...no luck.

    I can't imagine what I did that could have caused this. The panel part numbers are identical--it's the same part! Everything is plugged in...the inverter cables are idiot-plugged so I couldn't have screwed them up. There was no "pop", no weird sounds, no odor...

    Help?

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Dec 21, 2010
    Posts
    3
    Update: The iMac shows video on an external display and boots just fine.

    Weird...

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2010
    Posts
    2
    Some more info
    I used the original cable from the intel LCD, on the G5 LCD with no joy.
    I mod'ed the g5 display cable to fit, also with no joy.

    All I can think of is that there is a difference in the PIN configuration on the two screens, or that the main board is identifying the display and shutting down because it doesn't match.

    Mine will shut off the instant the cable is plugged in to the main board.
    Boot without the cable in, then insert it and bam... Off.

    Maybe a short at the LCD on different pins, and the PSU is going into protect mode..


    As to why your system is shutting off when you insert the original cable with NO LCD attached??
    Maybe you have it off centre?, maybe the board end of the lead triggers the ID the LCD process and it finds nothing so it stays off? I dont know.

    M

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Dec 21, 2010
    Posts
    3
    UPDATE:

    This morning I plugged in the original display (with lines) to the original cable. The computer starts.

    Conclusion: Despite being the same basic panel, there's something different about the interface board--where the cable from the motherboard plugs in. I tore the display further apart to see if I could swap that board between displays. No way. There are 6 ribbon cables that join the board to the display and they are decidedly NOT modular. They don't come off!

    This really sucks in a way.

    Ah, well. On to bigger and better things, I suppose.

  10. #10

    kahlil88's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2008
    Location
    Mendocino, CA
    Posts
    682
    Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro A1297 2.3 GHz i7 4GB DDR-1333
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I was looking for info on this as well. iFixit doesn't seem to carry many parts for the iMac G5's...so not able to do much parts cross-referencing. If I had to guess (off the top of my head)...I would say that there would be more compatibility between the original iMac G5's & ALS iMac G5's...than with the iMac G5 "iSight".

    Given some of the design differences with the iMac G5 iSight. But that doesn't mean that Apple didn't use the same display for all three models.

    @OP...let us know what size display we're talking about (17" or 20").
    Forgot to specify in my post but mine are 17" models. Thanks romeyn and MalcolmH for taking the time to perform the experimental surgery in the name of Mac science!
    There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
    Join the FSF as an Associate Member!


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2007 iMac internal display compatibility
    By Rushlight in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2014, 04:21 PM
  2. Thunderbolt Display has no backwards compatibility?
    By Butthouse in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 10:22 AM
  3. MBP new display assembly compatibility
    By rastausty in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2010, 05:12 AM
  4. iBook G4 display compatibility question
    By kahlil88 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2010, 05:02 PM
  5. Power Mac G4: Display Compatibility
    By thormoto45 in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •