New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Clean my mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Merryperson

Merryperson is on a distinguished road

I have had ny mac a year now and I imagine that by now there are a number of issues that are slowing it down etc.
I was looking for some software to sacn and correct this and saw Cleanmy mac.
Is it any good and are there ant cheaper better ones out there that do the same job
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

There are many, some free, some varying in cost.

I use IceClean which is free and seems adequate to the task and is stable - no crashes or freezes in the 6 months I've used it.

More erudite opinion will no doubt be forthcoming from others.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Well you do have Disk Utility. If you want ot do a clean up goto Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility and use the Repair Permissions tab to Repair your permissions lol....

others out there and people swear by is Oynx ~ By Titanium Software or MainMenu.
With Oynx make sure you download the .v that is compatible with the OS you are running. If you dont, you could cause problems you dont want. I personally have MainMenu and it is a paid App but totally worth my hard earned $. Either App will do all this ... Alot more than DU

So yea another couple to contemplate

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Another vote for Onyx and have a read of this thread:-

"CleanMyMac"

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

I have to say that I'm converted!

IceClean is good and free.

Onyx is very, very good and free!

So, TattooedMac and harryb2448, thank you - and you're right.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Been running my Mac for well over a 2 years and the only thing I have ever done is repair permissions from time to time and an occasional reboot (once a month or so). I have never had an issue with it slowing down. To be honest, this is UNIX based, not Windows so you don't really need to clean anything.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I've been using Cocktail forever on my Mac. It does cost money, and I can't claim it's better than some of the free alternatives, but I've always been happy with it.

Maintain - Cocktail - Overview

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Harleygold

Harleygold is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 4GB 1TB Mem.

Some good info here.
QUOTE Thanks
wavinwayne

wavinwayne has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"

Some of the more knowledgeable user here feel that Clean-my-mac can be potentially unsafe: "CleanMyMac"

Don't believe anything I tell you, unless it is consistent with what you already know to be true, or unless you have taken the time to research the matter to prove its accuracy to your satisfaction. This is known as "doing your homework."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Worst Apple Machine Ever | Imac g5 screen problem »