New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Imac i7 27" quick question :)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RBGarnett

RBGarnett is on a distinguished road

ok i lied it's not such a quick question, my apologies

basically i have just purchased a 1tb seagate external
im a audio engineer by trade and i have recently moved from windows (cubase) to logic 9 (amazing software ^_^)

however what i want to do is do a complete fresh install of snow leopard and optimize it for audio if thats at all possible?

and what program would you suggest to take all the applications and back them up and reinstall them on my fresh install yet keep all my old files on my external hard drive yet still be able to access those, yet keeping my iMac clean.

any help would be more than appreciated.

thanks guys

Rich
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Quote:
however what i want to do is do a complete fresh install of snow leopard and optimize it for audio if thats at all possible?
It isn't necessary as Snow Leopard is already optimized for audio, video, and whatever. In other words, there is no need for a "fresh" install.

Quote:
and what program would you suggest to take all the applications and back them up and reinstall them on my fresh install yet keep all my old files on my external hard drive yet still be able to access those, yet keeping my iMac clean.
As above, a fresh install is not necessary. However, you should always make backups. Use the built in Time Machine application to backup to an external hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
RBGarnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

It isn't necessary as Snow Leopard is already optimized for audio, video, and whatever. In other words, there is no need for a "fresh" install.

As above, a fresh install is not necessary. However, you should always make backups. Use the built in Time Machine application to backup to an external hard drive.

well one of my friends is an apple concierge and told me that they are told once every six months a fresh install would keep it running over smoothy,

the peformance of my mac has decreased somewhat since purchasing it in 2009 and im pretty sure im going to be re-installing snow leopard and keep all my files on my external

what would be the best way to go about this? yet being able to load my profile back onto the mac minus my documents etc
QUOTE Thanks
RBGarnett

im not disrecpting anyone it would just be a LOT easier for me to do it that way than copy all my files across seperately :
QUOTE Thanks
RBGarnett

could really do with some help :/
QUOTE Thanks
RBGarnett

unless somebody knows how to transfer all my files bar my applications to my external?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBGarnett View Post
well one of my friends is an apple concierge and told me that they are told once every six months a fresh install would keep it running over smoothy,
I don't know what an "Apple Concierge" is, but he needs to be re-trained. That's PC talk and its utter rubbish to boot.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I don't know what an "Apple Concierge" is, but he needs to be re-trained. That's PC talk and its utter rubbish to boot.
Yeppers. And I'm one of those guys that does a fresh install on my highly used Win machines every 4-6 months (talking about those that have a lot of new apps in and out - not the ones I set up with specific hardware/software and don't really make any changes - these can make it 12 months or longer). I've not been able to find a single reason to support doing such a thing with OS X.

There is no registry here that the OS has to look through every time it boots. Unlike in Windows, most applications do not put anything in the system folders and startup folder that slows down that other OS.

There are good maintenance apps for OS X to take care of the "maybe" quarterly maintenance most folks might want to do.

If you don't have a backup though, you should be using an external drive in conjunction with Time Machine, SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner. These will also provide the source for a migration of your data back to the internal drive after a fresh install.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac 'Shut down message' iPlayer? | Transfer Question »