New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

eMac G4, should I even think about the 1.25GHz model?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Very cool you got it so fast. Keep us posted and tell us what you think! Can't wait for the pics also.
QUOTE Thanks
Sonicjet

Sonicjet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13' Macbook Pro i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Congrats! Getting it 3 days early during this busy shipping time of the year is pretty darn awesome!

Looking for forward to your thoughts...and your evaluation of your specific eMac.

- Nick
In one phrase?

Wickedly fast on tiger.

It is shocking really, the sound is good too, btw how on earth do you open the disk drive with a non Apple Keyboard?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is there a CD/DVd in the drive? That should be a slot load. If nothing is there, there will be no need to eject. Once you insert a CD/DVD, you just drag it to the trash, or Right (or CTRL) Click on the icon and click Eject. Also there is Eject in the Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities.

Also with a Disc in the drive from Finder and File there is an Eject also.
QUOTE Thanks
Sonicjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Is there a CD/DVd in the drive? That should be a slot load. If nothing is there, there will be no need to eject. Once you insert a CD/DVD, you just drag it to the trash, or Right (or CTRL) Click on the icon and click Eject. Also there is Eject in the Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities.

Also with a Disc in the drive from Finder and File there is an Eject also.
What if I want to put a disk in?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Sorry, I always thought the emac was a Slot loader! Me bad!

Someone will probably give you an easier way but look at the File Pull Down in Finder up in the bar by the Apple. See if Eject is there. If not like I said for now, open Disk Utility and hi light the optical drive and see if you can press eject.

This might help also.

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/tu...as/index.shtml
QUOTE Thanks
Sonicjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Sorry, I always thought the emac was a Slot loader! Me bad!

Someone will probably give you an easier way but look at the File Pull Down in Finder up in the bar by the Apple. See if Eject is there. If not like I said for now, open Disk Utility and hi light the optical drive and see if you can press eject.

This might help also.

How to Add Icons to Your OS X Menu Bar
That worked,thanks.:
EDIT:
Ok, So I have been using it for a while after wiping it and installing Tiger-server, Some impressions:
1: it is fast(faster than a DP 2.0 G5 running Leopard for example),boot is quick too.
2: Support for the PPC Mac is not dead! I installed Firefox and Opera 10.63 and it plays HTML5 very well, Grooveshark is very usable *(Once again,faster and better sounding then leopard G5 with Flash 10 on the old non html5 Grooveshark.)
3:Speaking of music...The Speakers are incredible! It's a very good reproduction of the sound, it's playing Barber's Adagio for Strings right now, it sounds great.
4:That is the best looking CRT I have ever seen!, You would think it's a LCD.
Thanks guys for your Support, I don't regret the purchase at all.
QUOTE Thanks
50voltphantom

50voltphantom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicjet View Post
That worked,thanks.:
EDIT:
Ok, So I have been using it for a while after wiping it and installing Tiger-server, Some impressions:
1: it is fast(faster than a DP 2.0 G5 running Leopard for example),boot is quick too.
2: Support for the PPC Mac is not dead! I installed Firefox and Opera 10.63 and it plays HTML5 very well, Grooveshark is very usable *(Once again,faster and better sounding then leopard G5 with Flash 10 on the old non html5 Grooveshark.)
3:Speaking of music...The Speakers are incredible! It's a very good reproduction of the sound, it's playing Barber's Adagio for Strings right now, it sounds great.
Thanks guys for your Support, I don't regret the purchase at all.

They are oddly charming machines aren't they?

Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 500 GB HD OS 10.6.8 Magic Trackpad- eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 Grape 400 MHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD OS 10.4.11 iSub - iPad 2 16GB - iPod Classic 120 GB - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB - Apple TV 2
QUOTE Thanks
Sonicjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom View Post
Yep already running XBMC...uhh don't feed (accedetally) 1200 15MP pics to it...lol
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Well....I would say that's debatable...we would have to run some benchmarks to be sure...but if you're happy...that's all that matters. A 1.42ghz processor running 10.4 should have pretty acceptable performance.

Quote:
Great sound is always a plus!

Quote:
Sounds like you got a good one! CRT's many times are the first thing to go on these things...glad you're pleased with the picture.

I've got two eMac's (a 700mhz & a 1.25ghz)...and the picture/display are great on both as well. I think that the "flat" screen helps a lot.

Congrats on your fine purchase,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Sonicjet

Well what I meant by faster than a g5 was that it runs tiger better than the g5 runs leopard, from my experience that is, I have seen some low ram limits but it's not too bad.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Well what I meant by faster than a g5 was that it runs tiger better than the g5 runs leopard, from my experience that is, I have seen some low ram limits but it's not too bad.
I understand...the eMac with Tiger just seems "snappy"!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

For oddly charming peoples?

Where is my mate hughvane?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Sonicjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post

For oddly charming peoples?

Where is my mate hughvane?
BTW,I did not post pics because I set it up before I even thought,lol, it basicly looks like every other eMac,very good shape.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Harddisk or software or virus/ | IMac Memory Upgrade Help »