New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Running one MacPro off another

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smgorsch

smgorsch is on a distinguished road

The situation is as follows: Currently own a 2006 MacPro & anticipate arrival of 2010 MacPro shortly.

Question is: How can I configure these so that every time I boot up 2010 machine, the 2006 machine automatically appears as device on my desktop. I know that if I boot one with cmd + T followed by booting second machine I can do this but that would be a PIA to do on a daily basis. Thoughts?

thanks in advance
stefan
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Are you planning to set up a home network? If so enable file sharing on the 2006 machine (in the Sharing preference pane). This will allow it to how up as a shared place in the sidebar of a Finder's window.

If you choose to enable screen sharing you can see and interact with the 2006 machine in a window on the other mac and interact with the older machine just as if you were sitting in front of it. This article is for Leopard but I think you will get the idea. Tutorial: Screen Sharing in Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5): How it works and how it doesn't | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
smgorsch

smgorsch is on a distinguished road

I already have home/screen sharing established for my computers & its fine for the occasional use but far too laggardly for everyday use. Ideally, what I would like is a direct firewire connection between the two desktops, with one being the slave of the other. That way I can access my 30 mb TIFF files (on the old computer) & process on the new one without having to replicate my entire library onto the new MacPRo.

Is this doable?

thanks
stefan
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Target Disk Mode might be good but there are some limitationsd How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode . An ad hoc FireWire network might also work. Ad hoc networking | Utilities - Page 1 | Macworld

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac with 15" display (hibrid) | My dad's iMac troubles. »