Running one MacPro off another
    The situation is as follows: Currently own a 2006 MacPro & anticipate arrival of 2010 MacPro shortly.

Question is: How can I configure these so that every time I boot up 2010 machine, the 2006 machine automatically appears as device on my desktop. I know that if I boot one with cmd + T followed by booting second machine I can do this but that would be a PIA to do on a daily basis. Thoughts?

thanks in advance
    stefan

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Are you planning to set up a home network? If so enable file sharing on the 2006 machine (in the Sharing preference pane). This will allow it to how up as a shared place in the sidebar of a Finder's window.

If you choose to enable screen sharing you can see and interact with the 2006 machine in a window on the other mac and interact with the older machine just as if you were sitting in front of it. This article is for Leopard but I think you will get the idea. Tutorial: Screen Sharing in Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5): How it works and how it doesn't | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

I already have home/screen sharing established for my computers & its fine for the occasional use but far too laggardly for everyday use. Ideally, what I would like is a direct firewire connection between the two desktops, with one being the slave of the other. That way I can access my 30 mb TIFF files (on the old computer) & process on the new one without having to replicate my entire library onto the new MacPRo.

Is this doable?

thanks
    stefan

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Target Disk Mode might be good but there are some limitationsd How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode . An ad hoc FireWire network might also work. Ad hoc networking | Utilities - Page 1 | Macworld
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Thread Information