New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

EFI boot, no startup!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

serisin

serisin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac, os x 10.4.11 (tiger)

Okay, just upgraded an old iMac, one of the white ones from around 2006, to snow leopard. I had to add extra ram but all went fine! For two days.... Now the mac wont start up... A message came up after it freezing for the first time since the update saying it had to be restarted. It was like a hardware/firmware update but it stays on the load screen. Sometimes the progress bar will advance, even as far as three quarters of the way up, and then it will either revert to zero or turn the mac off. I tried choosing the disc to boot up with and instead of Macintosh HD there was only EFI boot. So I put in the snow leopard install disc to try and boot from that... Nothing happened only a lot of whirring... It's rather important that it starts working again as all my work stuff is on it! My photos and music are on my iPod so I assume I can regain them if I have to get a new mac! Any advice on what to do? Anyone had the same problem and got it resolved? If so , how?
Thanks in advance!

In This Monochrome World I Will Search The Depths Of The Earth And The Limitless Skies For You
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by serisin View Post
Okay, just upgraded an old iMac, one of the white ones from around 2006, to snow leopard. I had to add extra ram but all went fine! For two days.... Now the mac wont start up... A message came up after it freezing for the first time since the update saying it had to be restarted. It was like a hardware/firmware update but it stays on the load screen. Sometimes the progress bar will advance, even as far as three quarters of the way up, and then it will either revert to zero or turn the mac off. I tried choosing the disc to boot up with and instead of Macintosh HD there was only EFI boot. So I put in the snow leopard install disc to try and boot from that... Nothing happened only a lot of whirring... It's rather important that it starts working again as all my work stuff is on it! My photos and music are on my iPod so I assume I can regain them if I have to get a new mac! Any advice on what to do? Anyone had the same problem and got it resolved? If so , how?
Thanks in advance!
First, make sure the Snow Leopard disc is completely clean with no scratches. Then, follow the steps below and let us know how you make out...

1. Turn the machine on, pop the Snow Leopard disc in.
2. Press and hold the power button until the machine turns off.
3. Turn back on and immediately press and hold the Option key.
4. Continue holding until you see the boot options selection screen (it may take 30 seconds +).
5. The disc may not appear at first, allow 5 minutes before assuming that it doesn't recognize the disc.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
serisin

serisin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminum iMac, os x 10.4.11 (tiger)

Tried that, that's when all the whirring started... Tried again today, and a grey screen popped up saying restart you iMac. Called apple support, was told it will have to be brought in to a store for repairs... And does anyone know if all my data can be retrieved? Also, if not, will I be able to get my pics and music off my iPod onto my new mac? thanks!

In This Monochrome World I Will Search The Depths Of The Earth And The Limitless Skies For You
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new imac | iMac G5 with 3G USB dongle question. »