Thread: Mini G4 Issue

Mini G4 Issue

Mini G4 Issue
    Hi all. I have a 5 year old mac mini g4. For five years, it has run solid. Recently, the image on monitor started to degrade - pixilating, lines of color across the screen, etc. I brought the machine to a mac store and had it tested - they said it is most likely the logic board (they hooked up to another monitor and had the same problem - also tested a different VGA adaptor to make sure that wasn't the issue).

My question is, has anyone else had this problem and found it to be something other than the logic board? To the extent I can see my desktop, everything else appears to be working.

Follow up question - if replacing the logic board is the only option, any advice (or discouragement) for 'upgrading' my g4 to the intel board and processor?

Mini G4 Issue
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by wardad91 View Post

My question is, has anyone else had this problem and found it to be something other than the logic board? To the extent I can see my desktop, everything else appears to be working.

Follow up question - if replacing the logic board is the only option, any advice (or discouragement) for 'upgrading' my g4 to the intel board and processor?
    On the Mac-mini everything is soldered onto the logic board (video, cpu, everything)...so if there's an "electronic" problem...it's the logic board that needs to be replaced. Also...as far as I know...G4 Mac-Mini's cannot be upgraded to an "Intel board".

The bottom line is...your G4 Mac-Mini is only worth about $100-$125 bucks. Almost any "serious" repair would exceed that amount...so you would be better off finding another used working G4 Mac-mini for $100-$125...or finding a used Intel Mac-mini for more $$$.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Mini G4 Issue
    Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    As Nick says you cannot upgrade the G4 to an Intel, any model desktop or laptop alas or we would all have done that. Time for another machine and choose an Intel so you can run Snow Leopard.

Mini G4 Issue

Thanks guys - figured as much.

Thread Information