New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Just switched to mac, bootcamp question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tardis2424

tardis2424 is on a distinguished road

so i just switched to mac got mre a 27 inch imac I7...

So i got my snow leopard installed easy... then ran the bootcamp utiliity and partioned my drive got win 7 proffessional 64 running, installed the bootcamp disc and did the drivers easy...

So heres where my problem lies after doing the bootcamp install anytime i switch to snow leopard it boots to a light blue screen and freezes...

Ive tried this process 3 times and same result....

Now in the windows 7 install i had to format the partition to ntfs did this cause it?

I need my win 7 partition for work but want snow leopard for home stuff...

Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Sounds like an incorrect driver is being loaded. The 27" iMac needs to have the mobile version of the video driver installed.

Try this: Boot to Windows 7 safe mode. You do that by holding down the F8 key on boot up. You'll see a DOS like black and white screen. Select safe mode and press enter. As soon as it boots to safe mode, go to the ATI web site and download the mobile video driver for your ATI card and install it. (Make sure you download the 64 bit driver.) Reboot Windows 7 and you should be OK.

And yes, Windows 7 must be installed to a NTFS drive. No other file system will work.

Let us know if this works. BTW, if you can't use the net from safe mode, you can try downloading the driver from Snow Leopard and then copy it to Windows 7. Boot to safe mode and install.
QUOTE Thanks
tardis2424

Sorry but just to clarify

My windows 7 works great all drivers in windows 7 works great...

but as soon as i switch my boot options whetehr it be in windows 7 bootcamp settings or with the option key at boot up to snow leopard...

I get the apple logo the loadding wheel and it proceeds to a light blue screen that just stalls and never loads anything, i even left it for a hour...

this is my problem i want both working in sync i cant use this machine with one or the other
QUOTE Thanks
lilmill

lilmill is on a distinguished road

Y use bootcamp. I put my win7 64 on virtualbox (vb is free) I'll only use win for those few things that osx wont run. With a vm you don't have to partition your hd

2.93 27inch imac with ssd+2tb,2.6 XPS720 vista64 8gig_17 2.6 MBP with 4gig and 200gig 7200 rpm_ATV 160 gig_iphone32gs_AEBS_1TB timecapsule,and drobofs
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still a bit confused over your problem. Are you saying that you can not boot to Snow Leopard and that instead you're getting the Apple logo and blue screen and nothing else?

If that's true, it sounds like when you installed Windows 7 your OS X Snow Leopard partition was overwritten. Are you sure you formatted the correct partition when you installed Windows 7? If you overwrote Snow Leopard you will have to erase the hard drive and reinstall.
QUOTE Thanks
tardis2424

Ok to clarify I need bootcamp as im a pc gamer and like my games i have bought as many titles as i can for mac but need bootcamp as a last resort....

And i formatted the bootcamp partition, and yes after i install windows i boot to a blue screen when I boot osx that is all ive done this process 4 times same result.....

So any ideas from anyone? And no i will not accept game in parells .etc
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Run this test for us: Reboot your machine, hold down the Option key as soon as you hear the chime. Keep holding it until the Apple Logo appears.

If the dual boot went well, you should have two icons on the screen; one showing your MacIntosh HD the other Windows allowing you to choose which to boot to.

Post back results.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What happened to my iMac screen? | imac white screen of death »